Ipad Did Not Save This Family Any Money !

Ipad Did Not Save This Family Any Money !

Lorraine Moss
From The Metro

Boy of five’s iPad zombie killing spree lands parents £1,700 Apple bill
Thursday 28 Feb 2013 6:59 pm
670
Danny Kitchen, aged five, ran up a £1,700 bill on his parents’ iPad playing the game Zombies vs Ninjas (Picture: Caters)
The parents of a five-year-old boy suffered the curse of the living dead when their son amassed a £1,700 bill for playing a ‘free’ game on the family iPad.

Greg and Sharon Kitchen thought little of it when little Danny asked his father for the Apple password so he could download the game called Zombie vs Ninjas.

However, a day later Mrs Kitchen was filled with horror after she received a series of emails from the iTunes store invoicing her for in-game purchases at £69.99 a pop.

‘On Sunday afternoon Danny asked my husband for the pass code. We had lots of visitors in the house and were both a little preoccupied,’ said Mrs Kitchen, who works as a child minder and entertainer alongside her husband.

‘I recall my husband saying “No, what is it for?”. Danny said “It’s OK, it’s a free one, dad”, so my husband keyed in the pass code.’

Having received the iTunes bills, Mrs Kitchen checked her bank account but as it made no mention of the purchases she put it to the back of her mind.

‘Later on in the day I received a phone call from the credit card people asking if 19 transactions of £69.99 each were normal. Much to my horror, my son had clocked up £1,329,’ she said.

‘And two days later, I’d received more emails taking the bill up to £1,700.’

Mrs Kitchen asked her husband to contact Apple to try and clear up their son’s mess but the Bristol family are yet to hear back.

‘As of yet we are still waiting for iTunes to recognise that this was a big mistake,’ she said. ‘Danny has been in tears when we told him how much money he had spent.

‘Loads of parents in the playground said similar things had happened to them but for a lot less money. They said our situation had to be some sort of record, so I should let the papers know to warn other parents.’

A spokesman for Apple said: ‘All iOS devices (iPad, iPhone and iPod touch) have built in parental controls that give parents and guardians the ability to restrict access to content, eg internet access and age rated content such as music, games, apps, TV shows, movies etc.

‘Parental controls also give parents and guardians the option to turn off functionality such as purchasing from iTunes and the ability to turn off in-app purchases.

‘Our parents’ guide to iTunes details the steps and measures parents and guardians can take to make your password.’sure younger players have access to the right content. The first thing we recommend is not to share

Re: Ipad Did Not Save This Family Any Money !

Lorraine Moss
I have to say that I think the parents should have checked before tapping their password.  Any user of Apple products is aware that not all apps are free and as soon as you key in your password, there is a good chance that you will be charged.  Don't think that an app is free just because your 5 year old has told you so !

This game also has an age restriction of 9 plus.

Re: Ipad Did Not Save This Family Any Money !

Ha good one Mossy however I think that such technology is good if used properly-personally I could not live without my Ipad-however they have there limitations. Children should be playing football-rather than playing friggin zombie games for hours on end.

The Ipad as a limited educational or business tool can be wonderful.

Re: Ipad Did Not Save This Family Any Money !

Lorraine Moss
There are loads of are suitable free sites for children to play and learn on.

Like you say I think it is sad that children get into computer games at such an early age and do not learn how to play.  I can remember that my 2 boys used to love their Brio train set and lego.  They then liked the Lord of the Rings and star wars.  They used to play for ages.

Re: Ipad Did Not Save This Family Any Money !

GAZZER
As a child Matron would order me to- "go play with the traffic" and look how well balanced I grew up to be.

Re: Ipad Did Not Save This Family Any Money !

Percy.
I blame the parents who could not love their child enough but just wanted to stick him on a computer.
Chav parents then scream out when it costs them money.The social services should take the child and put him in a loving home.

Re: Ipad Did Not Save This Family Any Money !

The Ear

Re: Ipad Did Not Save This Family Any Money !

AngelDelight
The Ear wrote
Forget gadgets, the best thing for children are out door activities.
Very true! Or what about some indoor sports? Ice skating could be a suggestion..... But not in Romford.

Re: Ipad Did Not Save This Family Any Money !

Lorraine Moss
Hi Angel, have you seen the new post on the homepage?

That postcard brings back so many memories.  I used to love going to the Dolphin and the Ice Rink in my younger days.  I use to travel from East London.  What have we got now, oh another supermarket to choose from.

Re: Ipad Did Not Save This Family Any Money !

Percy.
We used to have the leys open air lido and Barking Lido as kids the school took us to swim outdoors from the end of March till October.Brrr it was cold you had to swim to keep warm.

Re: Ipad Did Not Save This Family Any Money !

Lorraine Moss
I remember my mum and one of her friends would take all the children in the street to Beckton Lido.  We would all set off with our rolled up towels under our arms.  My mum would make loads of sandwiches and we would spend the whole day there.  We seemed to always have lovely summers when I was a child.

Re: Ipad Did Not Save This Family Any Money !

Percy.
Yes I remember Beckton Lido. I used to call it Custom house lido.

Re: Ipad Did Not Save This Family Any Money !

bellend
i learnt to swim in beckton lido

Re: Ipad Did Not Save This Family Any Money !

Lorraine Moss
Hi Bellend, when my mum was growing up she lived in Brock Road and used to go over there every day without fail.

It is such a shame that there are not many Lidos left.  We went to one near Hampton Court a couple of years ago and it was lovely.

Yes, I did! I saw it on Facebook a few days ago and found it excellent as totally how I know Romford as a kid. Changed a lot eh?

Re: Ipad Did Not Save This Family Any Money !

GAZZER
I was born 1706 in what is now straight road Harold hill- Where my father leased a small farm including about 10 acres. At that time Rumford was considered a top ranking market-you could buy and sell anything even your ugly old wife.

Ahhh- a sigh for the good old days.