Housing Crisis

Re: Housing Crisis

bellend
the BODGIT today they have allowed rumours to circulate of help to house buyers, I wonder what this bunch of work dodgers and landlords will do for them? maybe halt the cause, immigration? no they will tinker with the finance of first time buyers thereby putting up the price of the house, supply and demand easy INIT, do something about both nothing else will work.

Re: Housing Crisis

Phil Wailing
Britain needs to build 200,000 homes a year to keep up with population growth. Up to 1980 over 50% of these homes were built by local authorities - Then came the "Right to Buy" housing act. Look at the red line on the chart from 1980 onward.

Re: Housing Crisis

Ho-Hum
Prefabs on brown field sites could be a quick fix.

Re: Housing Crisis

dalek1
Not such a bad idea HH.
Prefabs supposedly jerry built were still standing 25 years after they were put up in the 1970's.
I remember visiting a friend of mine who lived in Nunhead Village near Peckham and there were prefabs still going strong in the early 1990's.
How does that compare with Orchard village?

Re: Housing Crisis

Phil Wailing
With Orchard village you have falling masonry, falling steel rods, raw sewage and no water whereas with prefabs you only had asbestosis.

Re: Housing Crisis

What we need to do is deport at least that amount of illegals each year,be enough housing to go round then.

Re: Housing Crisis

There were a lot of prefabs around Camberwell,Peckham,Walworth,Bermondsey as a temporary housing fix just after the war,they did indeed last well into the 70,s,one of my mates from primary school lived in one.

Re: Housing Crisis

They lasted almost as long as some of the post-war crap, e.g., "system-built" tower blocks. Ronan Point partially collapsed in May 1968 when many of those prefabs were still going strong.

Re: Housing Crisis

fred
We had the pleasure? of living in one of those 14 floors up riddled with damp,when we complained to the housing office a jobsworth from the GLC maintenance department came up about 2 months later! his solution,open the windows and keep the heating on this was in November when l enquired who I should send our heating bill to he shrugged and left.Happy days.

Re: Housing Crisis

Percy
In Europe they build low cost social housing ,The prefabricated houses,flats,and apartments they build look very modern with zero input energy systems for warmth. The difference is that for the majority houses are not counted in a persons wealth they do not include housing in calculations and  the majority rent and spend less than 20% of their wages on housing.
If this was done in this country the middle classes would make certain that government was never elected again it is political suicide.

Re: Housing Crisis

fred
Different culture and outlook to property mate.

Re: Housing Crisis

Huf Haus Percy, my sister has one.

Re: Housing Crisis

One of the problems with the government's approach in the 1960s was technical incompetence. The Larsen Nielsen system was designed for structures up to 4-storeys. The UK used it for tower blocks much taller than that - Ronan Point (built on the L-N system) was 22 storeys. Ask for trouble and you'll get it. And it's the tenants who die, get injured and suffer because of this incompetence.

Re: Housing Crisis

fred
One of the drivers of that policy was the amount of war damaged houses plus the so called slum clearance of late 19th early 20th century houses.
The upshot of that where l lived was the Elmington,Aylesbury and Heygate estates to name 3,all the high rises on them are now demolished,in the case of the Heygate totally demolished and being replaced by high rises with flats at a million a pop.
As for the slums? Those that survived around Bermondsey and Camberwell are well beyond the pockets of the original population some well into 7 figure bracket.
Mind you most could see the writing on the wall as far as what the future population would be and moved away the dopey incomers/yuppies? think it’s “edgy” in fact their smack bang in the middle of the various drugs gangs as is witnessed by the amount of stabbing in the area.It will always be my roots,but do I miss it? do I fuck.

Re: Housing Crisis

Percy
Yes I was offered a house for £25,000 in Newington green. Its well into six figures now but I hated the place and could not see my then expected child to live there or get an education. It was scary on the streets then and is still scary. Whoever bought it must have spent a lot on it as it was near derelict.

Re: Housing Crisis

fred
Think our generation were the first practitioners of what the Yanks are now describing as White Flight from their inner Cities.

Re: Housing Crisis

Percy
I don't know about that Ethnic cleansing of the poor has been going on for centuries. Thousands were made homeless to make the Royal docks in Victorian times, Moved East or north. My family on my fathers side lived pretty much all in one street in Poplar but in 1960s were all moved onto new towns or Essex,

Re: Housing Crisis

fred
That’s true Percy,they had no choice,we did thankfully.
12