Helen Shapiro

Re: Helen Shapiro

dalek1
Helen Shapiro?
Bit contemporary for you HH.
For all the while I've been posting on this site I was thinking Gracie Fields and Marie Lloyd were more your era.
Joking aside she was a bit of a trailblazer for British female singers in the 60's but I can only remember Walking Back to Happiness which she recorded when she was in her early teens.
In my book the two best and consistent British female singers although they were a bit thin on the ground in that era were Petula Clark and Dusty Springfield.
Dagenham's own Sandie Shaw was pretty good and a very down to earth girl but the classic tune from a 60's Brit girl was this from the face of '68.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyYfcTZ-jUg

Re: Helen Shapiro

confused of hornchurch

Another classic from the pen of Bob Dylan from his basement tapes.

Re: Helen Shapiro

dalek1
Yes old Bob penned many classics covered by others Blowing in the wind and The times they are a changing by Peter Paul and Mary but nothing beats this by the god of the guitar the great James Marshall Hendrix!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLV4_xaYynY

Re: Helen Shapiro

OLD CODGER
What about Alma Cogan a very nice lady who I was looking after on one show with Dorothy Squires Roger Moores wife.

Re: Helen Shapiro

dalek1
Unfortunately OC the poor woman was cut down by cancer before she reached her peak.
One of those cases of we'll never know!

Re: Helen Shapiro

Have to agree, two of my favourite artists, Dylan's lyrics and the guitar of Hendrix, an unbeatable combination.

Re: Helen Shapiro

dalek1
Ah but Connie we cant forget Freddie and the Dreamers and Peter and Gordon.
The former I suppose at best a bit of harmless fun and the latter and copy of Burtons shop window mannequins that made Roger Ramsey look vibrant in comparison.

Re: Helen Shapiro

When Helen Shapiro headlined a UK tour in February 1963, she was supported by a then unknown group called The Beatles.

Re: Helen Shapiro

dalek1
Well just shows Michael how things change in a matter of a few months.

Re: Helen Shapiro

Yes - by the end of 1963, Beatlemania had arrived!

Re: Helen Shapiro

another local girl Kathy Kirby, born Ilford brought up in barking, another strong female voice.

Re: Helen Shapiro

Yes, bellend, good post - she did "Secret Love" as I remember, then faded away - what happened to her? Judith Durham of The Seekers also had a great voice. Not a UK lass, however.

Re: Helen Shapiro

bellend
a little scandal I think, I just remember my aunts talking about it.

Re: Helen Shapiro

Nice voice nice looker but a bit too twee for my liking.
Notice I've excluded Cilla Black Marianne Faithfull and Lulu.

Re: Helen Shapiro

She got involved with a married band leader Ambrose and then had a lesbian fling with a woman who got banged up for fraud.
Pretty tame by today's standards but trashed her girl next door image.

Re: Helen Shapiro

bellend
was that when she went into politics?

Re: Helen Shapiro

Percy
I preferred several of the French singers Sylvie Vartan ,France Gall etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAMPPdBsnt4

Re: Helen Shapiro

Re: Helen Shapiro

A terrible story, Ho Hum - I didn't know that. Sad is probably an understatement.
12