Header picture (Bedfords Park Go Ape)

Re: Header picture

dalek1

Essex Wildlife Trust are fully supportive of this proposal, on the basis that robust wildlife surveys are being carried out, likewise the residents of Havering Atte Bower are supportive.

This harks back to the solar farm in Dagnam park last year when old Rog lied to everyone stating the RSPCA and FOTE supported the solar farm.

Same old lies different year.

Re: Header picture

Morning Phil, I have a feeling of déjà vu.  It was this time last year that we were fighting the campaign against the proposed solar farm at the Manor.

It would seem that facts are being distorted.  For Melvin Wallace to say that Havering Atte Bower residents support this proposal, I would like to see some evidence of this !

It is interesting to see that Andrew Rosindell is against this proposal.  Let's hope that he will speak publicly against it.

Re: Header picture

Phil Wailing
Hi Lorraine,

My understanding is the Havering atte Bower Conservation Society (HABCOS) are being consulted on this proposal and of the villagers I have spoken to they are horrified by this proposal.

As you are probably also aware the Friends of Bedfords Park and all the volunteers in the park 100% oppose a Go Ape facility.

Re: Header picture

Rastaozzie
At the risk of opening myself up to some flak I feel i have to correct something. The official RSPCA response, (provided by their head office) if I remember correctly, was that they were not against the proposed solar parks in principle but would provide definitive comments as part of the planning application process. It is true to say that a lady who worked at the local RSPCA office did object during the initial consultation. I suppose you could at a push say that the local RSPCA were against the proposal at Dagnam Pk.

Re: Header picture

dalek1
Whilst trying to provoke a response from yours truly I should point out the response came from the centre manager not just a lady who worked at the centre.
She had the vision to see the problems reduced living space would have caused for the deer so commented accordingly.
A professional opinion in other words!

Re: Header picture

Rastaozzie
I was agreeing with your original post Dee, in so far that the RSPCA did not say they supported the solar park but neither did they say they didn't, still Mr Ramsey was technically incorrect  . I just added a bit more nuance .

Re: Header picture

dalek1
Just for info this was taken from the Forum in late October 2016 copied from an on line piece in the RR by our very own Connie.

Havering charity and environmental group oppose solar park plans

07:18 26 October 2016

Hayley Anderson  (Romford Recorder)

Proposed solar panel farm locations in Dagnam Park Harold Hill and Gerpins Lane, Upminster

An animal welfare charity and environmental campaign group say they are “shocked” by the proposal to develop two solar parks.

Thousands of residents have so far signed a petition opposing Havering Council’s plan to become the first London council to be powered by solar energy.

If the proposal goes ahead, the parks will be installed Gerpins Lane, Upminster, and 30-hectares of the land adjacent to Dagnam Park in Harold Hill.

But residents are not alone in their protest.

Maddie Wallace, clinic manager at RSPCA Essex Havering and Harold Hill, Chippenham Road, Harold Hill, said: “When I first heard about what the council was planning, I was shocked.

“Many of the people that come here go to the land by Dagnam Park for walks and there are lots of deer there as well.

“This will be fenced off if they install these parks so we won’t be able to use a great chunk of it anymore which will be such a shame.”

Environmental group Havering Friends of the Earth is also concerned about the area’s future.

Spokeswoman Rosina Purnell said: “We support the goal of moving from fossil fuel generation of electricity to alternatives such as solar power but we don’t think Dagnam Park is a suitable location.

“The park is best maintained and enhanced by small-scale improvements, whereas to import a large solar array would damage the biodiversity and spoil an amenity that the residents are proud of.

“A solar park would also have a very negative visual impact on the area and we are sure that residents will not be happy about this proposal.

Re: Header picture

Phil Wailing
The Essex Wildlife Trust has been consulted by the London Borough of Havering regarding the proposal for Go Ape being offered at Bedfords Park. The EWT believe that robust wildlife surveys need to be implemented and mitigation work planned for the site of the Go Ape route, as required.   These surveys need to focus on protected species, with an emphasis on bats.

The Essex Wildlife Trust stands to benefit substantially both financially and in terms of facility by the introduction of a Go Ape facility in Bedfords Park.

The company carrying out the wildlife surveys in Bedfords Park on behalf of the EWT are Essex Ecology Services Ltd (EECOS).

EECOS is a wholly owned subsidiary company of the Essex Wildlife Trust.

Essex Ecology Services (EECOS) is the Essex Wildlife Trust’s ecological consultancy company whose purpose is to generate a profit that supports the work of the Trust.

Re: Header picture

Rastaozzie
So EWT support the proposal ?

Re: Header picture

Of course they do, there's money to be had.

The Essex Wildlife Trust are nothing to do with the park, all they do is manage the activity centre. They can only win win win if this facility goes in and they are the people carrying out the wildlife surveys.

Re: Header picture

Rastaozzie
Fair enough but the question is would that trump care for the local wildlife to the extent that EWT would fabricate the findings of the survey?

Re: Header picture

Phil Wailing
It depends on what time of year you carry out the surveys and what you are looking for. Many of the birds that use the park are migratory so if you look for them in say November or December guess what, there weren't any.

The EWT say the surveys need to focus on protected species, with an emphasis on bats.

Guess what.

Bats hibernate over winter so how many do you recon they will find.

Re: Header picture

Rastaozzie
As EWT jointly manage the park it is a possibility that they would they already have data on bat numbers and types found in various locations which would feed into the survey.

Re: Header picture

The most common bat in Bedfords Park is the pipistrelle and they hibernate from late November to April, this is when they are most likely to be found in buildings and deep crevices.

In warmer months the tree roost’s are temporary an there is an abundant food supply so if you don’t want to find any bats make sure you look from late November to the end of March.

Why would you carry out a bat survey in winter if you were trying to assess what the population is, perhaps they are hoping not to find any. The Pipistrelle bad is in decline and the most common reason is loss of roost sites.

All the UK species of bats are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, and it is illegal to harm them or disturb their roost sites so if you don’t want to find any look for them in winter.

If you are serious about assessing the bat population in Bedfords Park why are the surveys not being carried out by the Bat Conservation Trust.  The BCT is committed to ensuring that conservation policy, practice and guidance is based on a robust scientific evidence base. BCT uses and generates scientific evidence to underpin bat conservation in the UK, experts from a number of academic institutions support BCT with technical advice.

Re: Header picture

The EWT do not jointly manage the park, they run the activity centre. Go in there and ask them for information on the park and they immediately refer you to Havering council and their parks officers.

Re: Header picture

Thanks for pointing that out Phil.
I was under the impression EWT had a much greater involvement with the park than just running a visitors area.
Now that all falls into place.
They get loads of funding but there is a conflict of interest surely by using their own subsidiary to prepare the impact report which as with Dagnam park totally destroys its credibility.
More ammunition for the opponents of this folly.

Re: Header picture

Phil Wailing
Some members of the Friends Group and park users are botanical, biodiversity and ornithological experts and their combined knowledge outstrips anything either Havering council or the Essex Wildlife trust know.

One user of the park is an amateur ornithologist and has been keeping records of the bird life in Bedfords Park since 1965, it is the most complete record I have ever seen and up till just now only a very few people were aware of this records existence.

Re: Header picture

Rastaozzie
These are the very people who would be in a position and have the expertise to challenge any discrepancy in any survey that forms part of the planning application. If the concern is that EWT would allow money to come before their mission of conserving, protecting and enhancing the environment then the time to point this out is when the survey has been published and out for consultation as part of the application. To prejudge the survey before the results have been published seems to me at least to be a bit unfair.

Re: Header picture

Phil Wailing
To quote cabinet member for parks, Cllr Andrew Curtin, when they tried to put an adventure playground in Bedfords Park in 2010.

"Since when has the council taken any notice of consultations."

Re: Header picture

I have been told today that the Go Ape planning application will be submitted by Christmas.

The Essex Wildlife Trust have said (13th November) there needs to be robust surveys carried out and these surveys need to focus on protected species, with an emphasis on bats.

The bats are in hibernation during the winter months so any surveys carried out between now and next April are not worth the paper they are written on.