Havering plagued by travellers......

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

Percy
Gypsies ,travelers the extreme jewish sects the extreme Muslims the bangladeshi the list is endless we are a very divided society.What happened to the great big melting pot.

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

It's the reality of vote catching politicians ie pipe dream.

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

Great post about a piece of local history.

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

Phil Wailing
Bit More Fred, some of the below is subject of debate but with all the best intentions it is believed by local historians to be true. A lot of this is from memory so there may be the odd error but it’s believed there have been four royal palaces in what is now Havering ate Bower.

The first royal palace was believed to have been established early in the seventh century by Sigeberht the Little (King of Essex 617- 653). It was a wooden building and there is no indication of its location or remains.

The second royal palace or the first Pyrgo was built around 946 about one and a half miles east of Havering village, originally as a hunting lodge (Bower). Over the following  800 years or so it became the home of a great number of dowager queens of England and other members of successive royal families

The third royal palace was built by Edward the Confessor in 1060 (and where he died in January 1066). It was used by many monarchs, notably John, Henry III, Henry VIII, Elizabeth, and James I, many of whom made significant additions to it. The last sovereign to use it was Charles I on 15th November 1631. Little is known after this date but it is believed the palace simply was abandoned and became derelict.

The fourth royal palace, Bower House, was built for John Baynes, using stone from the Royal Palace, including an angel bust corbel stone bearing the arms of Edward III. The only royal personage recorded as using Bower House was Mary, consort of George V.

Until the 17th century the royal Havering House (known locally as Havering Palace) stood beside the village green, roughly where St Johns church is now, Havering House had a 1,300-acre park stretching to the north and west.

The name Bedfords is thought to derive from John Bedforde who owned land in the area in 1362. Bedfords, with neighbouring Earls, was one of two tenements in the Havering Manor which were joined as part of the Gidea Hall estate in the 15th Century.

Bedfords was acquired for the Gidea Hall estate in 1412 when the owner of Gidea Hall was Robert Chichele. The Cooke family who purchased Gidea Hall in 1452 added Earles to the estate and Bedfords was part of Gidea Hall until its sale as a separate estate in 1659 to Joachim Matthews of nearby Gobions. In 1678 Robert Woolley purchased the estate and at that period the Bedfords and Earls estate comprised about 230 acres.

Excavations in 1972 and 1975 revealed remains of Roman agricultural and industrial activity over a wide area in fields about half a mile west of Havering village. Finds consisted mainly of pottery, but included a complex of gullies and ditches associated with metal-working. A group of cremation burials were also found. There was much building rubble and there was clearly a Roman settlement at Havering.

Collier Row lies to the west of Havering ate Bower and colliers were active in the area in the 15th and 16th centuries. These were charcoal burners, not miners, making their living from the forest that covered most of the manor of Gobions, also known as Uphavering.

A manor house called Great Gobions lay on the south side of Collier Row Common, while another house called Gobions stood on the common’s east side. The only remains of Collier Row common is Lawns Park and the Gobions estate became the Chase Cross and Rise Park housing estates in 1947 and 1954.

Unfortunately Fred we have 54 people sitting in a council chamber that are utterly clueless about any of this and they are the ones making the decisions on which part of Havering to destroy next.

Well as Old Codger said no one seems bothered enough to attend an open forum.Nothing will change the history just another field built over.

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

Phil Wailing
Percy it appears no one has been made aware there was a consultation taking place. That's not apathy it is a decietful council that doesn't apear to want your views on the local plan.

Was the consultation advertised in Living ?
Was the consultation advertised in the local press ?
Was the consultation advertised in the librarys ?

Was the police meeting in the Salvation army hall arranged before or after the plan for a march on the town hall and apart from a few of us who knows about it is it advertised anywhere?

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

Percy
Its like the first meet the leader arranged in Hornchurch Sainsbury no one not even the manager knew about it and I only found them with an A board standing in the alley after I had given up and was going to collect my car.

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

Very interesting,your last sentence sums up what was happening in Southwark when we lived there.

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

dalek1
Fred I had an ongoing battle with the council two years ago.
I decided to take it to the top and heard of Ramsey's meet the leader sessions and he had one in Waitrose in Upminster.
I took a day off work and the session started at 12 pm.
I thought to myself better get there early as the gaff will be mobbed with folk wanting to see old Rog and guess what?
From 12 to 12.15 when I left I was the only one there and I would say one or two folk may have pitched up afterwards.
So where was the event advertised?
Not in the local media or on posters or notice boards but buried on Haverings website.
No wonder old Rog gets away with so much without the public taking him on face to face.

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

Human filth.........

The head of a traveller family convicted of modern day slavery offences has been jailed for 10 years. Martin Rooney Senior was one of 10 men and one woman who ran a driveway resurfacing company and kept workers housed in caravans.

Nottingham Crown Court heard their victims were beaten and left without running water or toilet facilities.

The family were described as being "chilling in their mercilessness" towards their victims.

Sentencing him, Timothy Spencer QC said: "You brought up your sons in a criminal culture."

The judge also compared the squalid lives of the victims to the lavish lifestyle the family enjoyed.

"It was like the gulf between medieval royalty and peasantry"

HUMAN FILTH

CLICK HERE

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

You'ed be surprised if you wasn't surprised.Hope you got a positive.

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

Pikey scavenging at it worst.