Havering plagued by travellers......

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

Percy I was a member of the Friends of Bedfords Park group and was at the meeting with Martin Stanton (Parks Manager) when the decision was made to build the bank. The bank had one purpose, to prevent traveller access.

During the construction of the bank a section was removed by travellers using a lorry with a grab on the back.

On Tuesday Council officers and the “Havering Park Ward” Police Safer Neighbourhood Team served an eviction notice on the site under Section 77 of the Criminal Justice & Public Order Act, which gives the travellers 48 hours to leave the site.

The travellers refused to leave and this allowed Sgt Grahame Harle to conclude that as criminal damage had been caused he could use powers under the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act of 1994. On Thursday the illegally camped travellers were served with this notice and they left under police escort.

Bedfords Park is a local nature reserve and all the wildflower meadows are cut twice a year with heavy cutting equipment (pulled by tractor) to remove the turkey oak saplings and the parks fields are cut every 6 weeks (April to October) by 6 gang mowers pulled by tractor. the only area of Bedfords Park (210 acres) that is cut with strimmers is the bank on the main driveway at Broxhill Road.

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

Percy
I still visit the walled garden its all organic now and run by a vegan.I have seen some banks to stop travellers and cars which are a worse scourge parking on the grass.However many serve no purpose than to mark the places where the wild flower seeds are strewn.
By the way the Travellers are now in Chadwell heath near the old pub grounds.

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

dalek1
Do you mean the White Horse?

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

Bedfords Park walled garden is run by the charity Clear Village, the project manager is Kirsty McArdle and has been since day one, as well as being vegan Kirsty is a permaculturist, the walled garden has always been organic.

I have been involved with Bedfords Park in one way or another since the 60's and the top field on the right as you drive in was the old car park. There is no vehicle access to that area of the park by cars or any other vehicles, even the emergency access gates (2) have had earth banks built in front of them to prevent traveller access.

You obviously have no historical knowledge of the park and do not know what it was like before the banks went in. No vehicles can access that area of the park and that includes ambulances and fire engines.

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

Nonone can get to the nuclear shelter.The first time I went to Bedfords park I was Five in 1954 we went into the old house then derelict and bought sweets .later we had tea and cakes with the local Vicar.I had come on a Sunday school day out from the East end my sister was stung by a Bee.I have visited it regularly for over 50 years since then.Never mind Know the History I am part of it.

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

Phil Wailing
Percy if you were part of the history of the park you would know why the entrance drive was lined with earth banks.

You would know how many traveller incursions there have been since 2008.

You would know the damage that was done and the cost to the taxpayer to repair the damage and clear the place up.

You would know how many times the park had to be closed because of travellers and the cost of 24 hour security over the May day bank holiday.

But no, you say these criminals are "sinned against rather than sinners". You claim their children are "bullied at school." Worst of all you claim these people are "not allowed to come and go as they please."

You blame Havering council for not fulfilling its obligations". You blame Havering council for "forcing these criminals onto private land". You blame Havering council for "harassment" of these criminals.

These people are criminals that utterly abuse our country and cost us the taxpayer millions and you defend them as being the innocent victims of an oppressive state.

Visiting a park doesn't mean you know the first thing about it's history.

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

Percy
I have worked with travelers.They suffer greatly Hitler killed a million Gypsies in his camps.They are hounded and killed throughout Europe.They have been treated worse than the Jews.
I bet not many can tell you how man yrooms the old house had and the colour of its wallpaper.My cousin and I stole in to it just before it got demolished.

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

Ho-Hum
Travellers = Pikey.  They are not Romany Gypsy.  Pikey are a different breed altogether, mainly of Irish origin, which has no reflection on regular Irish people of course.  In real terms a pikey is a scavenger that preys on normal society under the guise of being Romany.

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

Oh very true Phil.
This cowardly administration look for easy targets and wouldn't go anywhere near a bunch of pikeys who will tell them to f#ck off and they wont do a thing about it.

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

Oh really Perc?
An estimated 12 million perished in the camps.
I cant see how the Gypsies fared worse than the Jews if an estimated 1 million of them were slaughtered compared to an estimated 6 million Jews.
Not forgetting untold Soviet POW's Jehovah's witnesses Gays Freemasons and anyone else the Nazi's didn't like.

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

Percy I could go on all day but I will be brief. This has taken me three quarters of an hour to write so take the time to read it.

In the Doomsday book in 1086 the land known as Haueringast is recorded as settlement of the followers of a man called Heafer. There has been a “Bower” or Mansion on the Bedfords and Earles estate since the 1300’s. A “Bower” is a medieval hunting lodge which was used by royalty including Henry VIII. The word “atte” is medieval for “at the” hence the name of today’s Havering atte Bower.

In more recent and much better recorder history Sir Philip Matthews sold the Bedfords and Earles estate in 1668 to Simon Rogers who owned the estate for 10 years. In 1678 Robert Woolley purchased the estate and at that period Bedfords comprised about 110 acres and Earls 120 acres

The son of Robert Woolley, John, sold the combined manor in 1707 to Robert Bristow and in 1710, after Bristow's death, his executors sold Bedfords and Earls to Wight Woolley, a relation of the previous Woolleys.

Wight Woolley conveyed the manor in 1737 to his son Houlton Woolley who “gave it” it to his cousin Nathaniel Houlton. The lords of the manor from Simon Rogers to Nathaniel Houlton were all London merchants and none of them actually lived at Havering ate Bower.

In 1771 Nathaniel Houlton sold the manor to John Heaton who enlarged the estate and lived there until his death in 1818. Bedfords house was rebuilt by John Heaton in 1771 as a two-storey brick mansion, rendered with cement. It was under the Houlton tenure that the walled kitchen garden was built (1775) and still exists today. John Heaton was the owner of the land known today as Heaton Grange in Harold Hill.

Houlton was prominent in local affairs and was succeeded by his grandson Charles Heaton Ellis who in 1846 held 537 acres in Havering. Heaton let the estate to a numerous tenants until 1854, when he sold it to James Hawkesley who sold the Bedfords and Earls estate in 1865 to Charles Barber.

Barber is quite significant in recent history as he spent a fortune on the estate adding two wings to the manor house and landscaping the gardens. Barber was also responsible for planting the specimen tree garden which still exists today. In 2009 Havering council wanted to put a children’s playground in Bedfords Park and the site they proposed would have meant destroying the specimen tree garden. I arranged to meet Andrew Curtin (cabinet member responsible) in the park and pointed out to him the damage Havering council would be doing if this play site went ahead in its proposed location. To be fair to Andrew he dumped the plan.

Barbers mortgagee sold the estate in 1870 to Henry R. Stone (remember Stones department store in Romford, now the new Debenhams store) Henry J. Stone (son) inherited the estate and sold part of the estate of  including Earls which is now known as Upper Bedfords Farm in 1920.

Just for you Percy there is an open tile lined irrigation tank in the park that is fed by an underground stream and the remains of the pump house which had a 9.5 hp Hornsby Ackroid generator (1905) which fed the manor house with water and generated the electricity. There is also a Georgian ice house and far more significantly there is a Queen Anne Holy Well. The well is subject of research by English Heritage and only a handful of people know its location as it is an incredibly rare artefact in Havering.

H. J. Stone died in 1931, and in 1933 his widow Emma, who had remarried, sold the Bedfords estate to Romford urban district council for use as a public park. In 1939 the captive red deer herd was reintroduced to the park.

During the Second World War Bedfords Manor House was occupied by the National Fire Service for fire watch over East London. For a short period after the war the Manor House was used as a natural history museum but it was damaged by vandals (they stole all the lead from the roof and the wallpaper it would appear) and in 1959 our council demolished a Georgian Manor House.

The walled kitchen garden was used by Havering grounds maintenance and all the plants and hanging baskets for the borough were produced there. The horticultural apprentices were also trained there. The council abandoned the WKG in the late 1990’s and it was allowed to fall into disrepair.

On the site of the Georgian Manor House the council built a cafe in 1963, this was allowed by Havering council to fall into disrepair and was boarded up in 2000. The Essex Wildlife Trust leased this area of land and in 2003 opened the EWT activity centre. Behind the EWT centre is a Havering council grounds maintenance yard which was the stable block to the former manor house. There was a terrace of estate workers cottages next to the old stable block and yet again, the council demolished these.

The last surviving person that lived in those cottages was Alf Hayley, he was born in one of those cottages in the park and died in 2005. His remains are in the park today but don’t tell Havering council.

Havering council. Vandals then and vandals today.

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

I went to Tesco in Goodmayes today to pick up my new glasses.
They made a total mess of the White Horse car park and according to the casheir who served me have been
back causing more mayhem and have since been chucked off.
Do these dirt bags just take delight in causing as much trouble as they can before moving on to start more in other areas?

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

Chief Constable Simon Bailey was adamant the report into what happened would not be buried and the criminals would be brought to justice, the meeting ended with many people still unconvinced.

Mr Bailey admitted that the trouble was caused by an extended Irish traveller family comprising about 100 people who had descended on the town, camping at the Runton road car park, on the night of Friday, August 18. They left on Sunday, August 20.

Mr Bailey also said that the rape of a young woman in the town on Friday night was being linked to the weekend of disorder. Three men have been arrested in connection with the rape. CLICK HERE

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

Oh forgot to mention the cashier in Tesco's also told me they were using counterfeit bank notes.
Heaven help any us doing the same or littering or parking  on Tesco's premises for more than three hours but these low lives get away scot free.

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

Travellers caught illegally Dumping Rubbish on Big Scale Fly Tipping......

Basildon Council confirm cleaning up travellers fly-tipping waste is likely to cost almost £7000

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

Ho-Hum
When we're out of the EU and if the travellers are from Southern Ireland can we send them back to their native bog?

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

Yes we can but the politically correct MP's will protect these scum bags and do nothing.

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

Percy
The intention is to retain the historica lbenefits given to the Island of Ireland full rights to enter vote and live in the UK after all we deported and starved millions of them its pay back time.

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

I believe they as despised in Southern Ireland as the Stamford Hill cowboys are by the mainstream Jewish community or Rastas are by mainstream Jamaicans. I'm sure the Irish would find a suitable bog for them to sink into.

Re: Havering plagued by travellers......

bellend
I go to Ireland now and then and the "knackers" as the travellers are known are despised far more there than here. it appears to me that certain races or religious groups who are generally inward looking accept for commerce are mistrusted by the outsiders, bit like being a freemason.