Havering Council's Contract With "Everyone Active" How Beneficial Is It To Havering Residents?

Havering Council's Contract With "Everyone Active" How Beneficial Is It To Havering Residents?

Just recently a resident that lives opposite the newly refurbished Central Park Leisure Centre submitted a freedom of information requests asking what the £1.65 million pounds that they gave to this company was spent on.  They responded by stating that they did not know the answer and the resident should contact SLM Leisure directly !!!

Jan Sargent and I went to Central Park Leisure Centre on Saturday 21st October and spoke to one of the membership team's supervisors. We pointed out that there is a lot of poverty in Harold Hill and asked what concessions they have for residents in receipt of benefits. We were quite shocked when we were advised that they did not have any!! It is a well known fact that exercise is very beneficial for people who suffer from mental illness. Also people with physical disabilities would benefit from these facilities.
In fact, I think it is fair to say that the £60 per year membership and £6 per visit fees would make this facility to expensive for many people who are actually working!
We are in the process of emailing the Leisure Centre Manager to ask if they are planning to implement any concessions in the foreseeable future and why there are not any in place at the moment.
It would seem from the Cabinet minutes that this contract is very good for Havering Council and "Everybody Active" but not for the residents of Havering. This is rather worrying as they ("Everyone Active) have won the contract to run all of Havering Council's Leisure Centres for the next 20 years !

We sent the following email to the General Manager Chloe Ledger on the 22nd October;

Dear Chloe

We were very pleased to see the recent article in the Romford Recorder regarding the refurbishment of Central Park Leisure Centre. Everyone Active Contracts Manager Tom Fletcher stated "“We’re delighted that through our partnership with the council, we’ve been able to make an investment that will benefit the whole community.”
We are sure that you are aware that Harold Hill is one of the most deprived areas in Havering. In fact Gooshays ward where your centre is located falls into the 10 percent of most deprived areas nationally. We therefore decided to visit your centre on Saturday 21 October to see what concessions that you offer for local residents, particularly those in receipt of Welfare Benefits. We did try to find this information on your website but it states that we would need to ask at reception.
When we asked at reception, the receptionist advised us that she was not aware of any concessions for people on benefits. She advised us to speak to one of your membership team. We spoke to a lady who was a supervisor and she confirmed that there are currently no schemes for people in receipt of benefits. We were both really shocked. It is our understanding that your company has been awarded a contract to run all of Havering's Leisure Centres for the next twenty years. It is so important for people to be able to exercise and keep fit, especially people suffering from mental health problems. This is a complete contradiction to Tom Fletcher's statement that your partnership with Havering Council will benefit the whole community!
We have read the minutes of the Havering Council Cabinet meeting when this contract was announced. It states that your company will also be involved in the new Hornchurch Sports Centre and continue to manage the Centre at Chaffords School.
We have had a look at the current price lists for these 2 centres and I notice that Hornchurch Sports Centre currently do have concessions for Disabled people and students. The Chafford Centre actually does have concessions for students, disabled people, people on selected benefits and retired Havering residents.
Could you please advise if you are planning to introduce concessions for people on benefits and retired Havering residents at the Leisure Centre at Central Park? Will the current concessions continue at your Hornchurch and Chafford Centres?
We actually feel that your prices are quite out of reach for a lot of the residents of Havering who are actually working. Many residents are very upset that Havering Council provide funding that comes from the public purse to run your centres but they cannot afford your prices.
We look forward to your response and are considering raising our concerns directly to Havering Council.

Kind Regards

Jan Sargent and Lorraine Moss
The Harold Hill Independent Party

We are still waiting for a response, we have also sent a copy to the CEO of "Everyone Active" David Bibby and a copy to their press office.

Re: Havering Council's Contract With "Everyone Active" How Beneficial Is It To Havering Residents

Lorraine Moss
This weeks Enquirer

http://www.theenquirer.co.uk/harold-hill-residents-out-priced/

Re: Havering Council's Contract With "Everyone Active" How Beneficial Is It To Havering Residents

confused of hornchurch

A contract for ALL of Havering's leisure centres?

Will this include the brand new state of the art leisure centre soon to be opened in Romford?

Re: Havering Council's Contract With "Everyone Active" How Beneficial Is It To Havering Residents

Lorraine Moss
Hi Confused, yes the new Romford one and the new one that is going to be built in Hornchurch.

Re: Havering Council's Contract With "Everyone Active" How Beneficial Is It To Havering Residents

confused of hornchurch

From the Romford Recorder.

Cllr Ramsey, who was joined at the event by other councillors and representatives from Willmott Dixon Construction, said: “I’m pleased with how far the development has come.
“The new leisure centre is looking amazing with contemporary facilities and will be a brilliant facility for all across the borough.
“We’re looking forward to a successful completion and opening next year so that EVERYONE CAN START TO BENEFIT from one of our biggest investments to date.”
Cabinet members were also treated to a sneak preview of the centre’s new fitness area with two studios.
 Work being carried out to complete the Romford Leisure Centre. Council leader Roger Ramsey laying the final tile in the pool
Cllr Wallace has urged Havering residents to use the new centre when it opens.
He said: “Sporting investment in Havering is an important aspect of the council’s plans to ensure residents remain healthy and happy, and I encourage all residents to make full use of these facilities when available.”
Due to immense interest on social media about ongoing work at leisure centres across the borough, Havering Council will be holding a Twitter chat tomorrow Friday, October 27, to answer any and all questions people might have about leisure facilities.
Residents are encouraged to join in from 2.30pm to 3.30pm using #HaveringTalks.

They say "everyone can benefit".  Let's hope so.

Re: Havering Council's Contract With "Everyone Active" How Beneficial Is It To Havering Residents

Lorraine Moss
Cllr Wallace should have said that he encourages all residents that can afford to, to use it.  If it is the same as the Harold Hill one there are no concessions for Havering residents who are on benefits.  To be honest, the prices will be out of reach for many people who are working as well.  As long as Havering Council and Everyone Active are quids in, that is all that seems to matter!

Re: Havering Council's Contract With "Everyone Active" How Beneficial Is It To Havering Residents

confused of hornchurch

It would appear that Havering Council has conceded that it is incapable of running an aerobics class in a leisure centre and has decided to allow the private sector to do it for them for the next twenty years.

I can't wait to see if this venture turns out to be the money-spinner the council think it will be.

I hope Everyone Active has negotiated a break clause within their contract.

Re: Havering Council's Contract With "Everyone Active" How Beneficial Is It To Havering Residents

Lorraine Moss
Hi Confused, here are the minutes from the Cabinet meeting when this decision was made

http://democracy.havering.gov.uk/documents/g3414/Printed%20minutes%2012th-Jul-2016%2019.30%20Cabinet.pdf?T=1  page 4

 64 AWARD OF THE SPORT AND LEISURE MANAGEMENT CONTRACT
Councillor Melvin Wallace, Cabinet member for Culture and Community Engagement, introduced the report Members were informed that the report before them sought Member agreement to award the Council‟s Sports and Leisure Management Contract, for a period of 20 years, from October 1st 2016. The report also sought Member agreement in principle to the building of a new Hornchurch Sports Centre, investment in new health and fitness facilities at Central Park Leisure Centre and to the continued Council funding of the Chafford Sports Complex, within the parameters that were identified in the report. The report furthermore sought Member agreement to award the contract to Tenderer A on the basis that they had submitted the most economically advantageous tender (a “meat” bid) to the Council, taking account of all relevant price and quality evaluation issues.

Reasons for the decision: The preferred bid had been selected because it achieved the best overall score, taking account of price and quality, when assessed against the evaluation criteria identified in the table included in paragraph 21 of the report. Other options considered: In considering alternatives for the management of the Sport and Leisure facilities there was not a „do nothing‟ option as the current contract for the management of the facilities would end on September 30th 2016. The option of extending the contract for another 5 years had already been ruledout on the basis that it would not achieve value for money for the Council (as set out in the Tender Strategy produced in February 2014). The option of bringing the service back in-house had also been ruled-out because of the tax implications that would arise and because it was believed that an experienced leisure operator was more likely to maximise the commercial opportunities that were available as compared to the Council. It was also the case that an external operator (providing it was delivering the contract through a Trust, Charity or similar organisation) could secure significant NNDR and VAT advantages, in comparison to the Council. The option of retaining the existing Hornchurch Sports Centre had been considered but rejected given the age of the building, the fact that it would almost certainly need to be replaced in the next 10 - 20 years and because of the significant repair and maintenance costs associated with the current building. Following consultation with the Council‟s Legal Advisor, Cabinet was informed that paragraph 20 in the report needed to be replaced with the following wording: “20. Tenderer A’s best “Price” score at the BAFO stage is linked to their “Core Bid” and a contract term of 10 years. Tenderer B’s best “Price” score is linked to their “Mandatory Variant Bid” and a contract term of 20 years.” Furthermore, the Legal Advisor requested that some changes to the wording of some of the recommendations be made and Cabinet agreed to those changes, the recommendations to read: Cabinet: 1 Awarded the Sports and Leisure Management Contract for a period of 20 years starting on October 1st 2016, to Tenderer A, on the basis that they had submitted the most economically advantageous tender, taking account of all the relevant price and quality evaluation issues identified in the report; 2 Agreed in principle to the Contract reverting to a 10 year period if Tenderer A was not able to secure planning permission to build the Cabinet, 12 July 2016 proposed new Hornchurch Sports Centre and to delegate responsibility to the Chief Executive after consultation with the Head of Culture and Community Access to negotiate and agree revised contractual arrangements at the appropriate time should that eventuality arise; 3 Noted that the award of the Contract to Tenderer A would result in the Council receiving an average annual net payment of £967k through the life of the Contract once the Council‟s Prudential Borrowing costs had been taken into account and that this would deliver the already agreed MTFS savings of £700k per annum; 4 Agreed that the Chief Executive after consultation with the Head of Culture and Community Access negotiate and agree a final Contract price with Tenderer A, taking account of any agreed changes to the Contract and any associated agreed Variations to the Contract price; 5 Noted that the funding required to progress all of the investments proposed by Tenderer A would be arranged and secured by the Council and that the costs associated with securing this funding had been factored into the financial analysis which showed the £700k MTFS savings would be achieved; 6 Delegated authority to the Head of Culture and Community Access after consultation with the Deputy Director of Legal Services, to negotiate and agree a variation to the Contract which would allow the continued operation of the Chafford Sports Complex from October 1st 2016 - subject to any revenue costs to the Council being mitigated as far as possible - the school paying for their use of the facilities, a break clause being included in the Contract to cover a situation where the Council developed a new sports and leisure facility in the south of the borough and subject to agreement being reached with the Chafford School and Tenderer A; 7 Noted that as part of their tender submission Tenderer A would build a new Hornchurch Sports Centre on the site of the existing main car park and land to the west of that car park, subject to planning permission being secured; 8 Delegated authority to the Head of Culture and Community Access after consultation with the Chief Executive and the Cabinet Member Culture and Community Engagement, authority to establish whether there was a strong business case for retaining and converting the existing Hornchurch Sports Centre sports-hall into a multi-purpose entertainment venue, rather than demolishing it; 9 Will Receive a further report on the potential conversion of the existing Hornchurch Sports Centre sports-hall should there be a strong business case for so doing; 10 Noted that as part of their tender submission, Tenderer A would improve the health and fitness facilities at Central Park Leisure Centre, subject to planning permission being secured; Cabinet, 12 July 2016 11 Delegated authority to the Head of Culture and Community Access after consultation with the Deputy Director of Legal Services, to agree and sign the final Contract, the Leases and all other documents required to enact the Contract.

Re: Havering Council's Contract With "Everyone Active" How Beneficial Is It To Havering Residents

confused of hornchurch

I see Cllr Melvin Wallace is involved with this money making scheme.

Wasn't he the chap who posed with the incorrect signage in Dagnam Park prior to the money making solar park scheme that never came to fruition?

Re: Havering Council's Contract With "Everyone Active" How Beneficial Is It To Havering Residents

Lorraine Moss
Yes that was Cllr Wallace.

Oh dear!  No wonder he's urging people to use it.

Re: Havering Council's Contract With "Everyone Active" How Beneficial Is It To Havering Residents

confused of hornchurch

I was just perusing Everyone Active's price listings for other gyms and was wondering who will be setting the charges in Havering. I can already see "no shows will be charged at £4"

Price Lists
Group exercise bookings…
You can book your classes in the usual way at the centre, on the phone or on the internet.
It is VERY IMPORTANT that you either swipe your card at the turnstile or physically check in with the receptionist including classes in the Sports Hall and Seminar Room. If you do not do this it will appear as though you have not attended the class.
This means that as long as you have your card and you have pre booked you can fast track straight past reception reducing congestion at the desk.
If you have not pre booked for the class you will need to book at reception on arrival and collect and swipe to confirm attendance.
Please arrive for your class in with plenty of time to park and get into the centre. If you arrive more than 5 minutes after the start of the class we may refuse admission as you will have missed the warm up for the class.
Cancellation Charges…
In order to reduce the amount of wasted spaces in our classes due to no shows and late cancellations we have introducing a new cancellation policy:
You will be able to cancel your classes in the centre, by telephone, or on line.
All cancellations require a minimum of 6 hours notice to allow time for us to re book your space from the waiting list.
Any cancellations received with less than 6 hours notice and any ‘no shows’ will be charged £4.00
This amount will need to be paid at reception. Until this amount is cleared you will be unable to make further bookings on your account.
The reception team do not have discretion to waive these charges. If there are any mitigating circumstances to your cancellation, please inform us when you cancel and a note of this will be made.
It is VERY IMPORTANT that your attendance is recorded for each class by swiping your card at the turnstiles or checking in with the receptionist.  If your attendance is not recorded in one of these ways this will automatically be recorded as a ‘no show’ and a charge will be generated.
Any disputes will be dealt with by our Fitness Manager.

I won't be using it Melvyn, count me out.

Re: Havering Council's Contract With "Everyone Active" How Beneficial Is It To Havering Residents

Lorraine Moss
If any posters on here are on Twitter, Havering Council are running a questions and answers session from 2.30 to 3.30 tomorrow.  Unfortunately, I will be at work and will not be able to participate.

Re: Havering Council's Contract With "Everyone Active" How Beneficial Is It To Havering Residents?

Is this 60 smackers a year joining fee a new thing?
When Little Miss D1 and myself joined it didn't cost anything just the fee for using the pool on the day.
Well there's a nice little earner for the council and Everyone Active!
And how can Havering justify dishing out a 25 year contract to this mob?
They've already lumbered us with a totally useless refuse collection company in Shanks so how have they got away with this one?
Time this contracts up this shower will have a new name!
Everyone Inactive!

Re: Havering Council's Contract With "Everyone Active" How Beneficial Is It To Havering Residents

Old Oddjob Wallace will be using part of the centre for sure Connie!
The bar and I dont mean the parallel one!

Re: Havering Council's Contract With "Everyone Active" How Beneficial Is It To Havering Residents?

Hi D1, when Jan and I went there last Saturday, we were told £60 for the year and £6 every session.

My youngest son could not believe the price.  He goes to Better Gym in Romford usually about 5 times a week and only has to pay around £20 per month.

On their website, the centre Manager Chloe Ledger makes the following comment;

"Welcome to Central Park Leisure Centre, a centre for the community activities and the ideal place for your 30 minutes of activity 5 times a week."

Well that's going to cost £30 per week, plus your £60 membership fee.  This will cost people £1620 per year!

Re: Havering Council's Contract With "Everyone Active" How Beneficial Is It To Havering Residents?

dalek1
I'll stick to the YMCA in Rush Green.
35 quid a year and a fiver for unlimited use.

Re: Havering Council's Contract With "Everyone Active" How Beneficial Is It To Havering Residents

Connie if Wallace is involved scam rather than scheme would be a better description.
And the signage at Dagnam park was correct.
He and Dervish just changed the interpretation of the sign to suit there own mucky little agenda.

Re: Havering Council's Contract With "Everyone Active" How Beneficial Is It To Havering Residents

confused of hornchurch

I was just being polite.
123