Havering Council blunders...

July 2016  Havering council fined £500,000 for safety blunders    CLICK HERE

March 2017 Havering councils highly misleading consultation to erect a solar farm in the middle of the largest nature reserve in the borough have been thrown out.                 CLICK HERE go to page 5.

March 2017 An apology has been made by Havering Council after it incorrectly said the controversial “bedroom tax” would be extended to pensioners next year. The error was made in At the Heart magazine’s spring issue, a publication for all the council’s tenants and leaseholders. It said: “On page 29 of the spring 2017 edition of At The Heart magazine we incorrectly state that the so-called bedroom tax will be extended to pensioners from April 2018. “This is incorrect. If there are any changes to the under-occupation charge, the bedroom tax, we will keep you fully informed.   CLICK HERE

March 2017  People may have woken up to an unpleasant surprise this morning when direct debits on rent payments to Havering Council were taken out early. The administration error may cause people to incur bank charges for having insufficient money in their accounts to cover other direct debits. A spokesman for the council apologised profusely. He said: “We apologise for this error and if you have incurred charges we will reimburse these.”  CLICK HERE

April 2017  Complete and utter embarrassment....  Debt collectors Steve Pinner and Max Carracher were seen visiting Havering Town Hall on Can’t Pay? We’ll Take it Away! to collect a debt of £12, 413.94. The local authority was taken to court by a private landlord after their property was damaged by a benefit tenant. After losing an appeal, the officers were on their way to collect the full amount and court costs.
Just over 33 minutes into the episode, Steve and Max waste no time in clamping the Mayor of Havering’s limo but after being told they were not allowed to take the vehicle, they instead clamp one of the council’s white vans.    CLICK HERE      WATCH HERE

April 2017  More parking permit scams from Havering council.

May 2017  Havering Council contractor paints yellow lines on Hornchurch road by mistake. No they were told to yellow line the wrong road.........   CLICK HERE

Two months after the introduction of the new £1 coin they still can't be used in Havering councils car parks.....

Re: Havering Council blunders (so far) in 2017

Ho-Hum
Council blunders are only blunders when they're caught out.

Re: Havering Council blunders (so far) in 2017

Oh dear this could go from bad to worse for the lovely's at the dark tower. I'm not 100% certain if this is correct but I know for certain a direct debt can only be taken after its due date if the due date falls on a weekend. If its a weekday then it may be a different kettle of fish ie the organisation could be in breach of contract unless its pre-notified the debtor the amount would be taken earlier than the normal date. If this is the case then the forces of darkness may not just have to refund bank charges but the entire months rent. I called my bank and they confirmed this to be the case. Well couldn't happen to a nicer bunch. My sincere sympathies to Ramsey and Blake-Herbert he he he!

Re: Havering Council blunders (so far) in 2017 (click here)

the known blunders can only be a tiny proportion.

Re: Havering Council blunders (so far) in 2017 (click here)

Very disappointed not to read the rent fiasco story in the RR today.
On the positive side not too much council trumpeting as in the days of Mark Sweetingham and Chris Carter.
And a few good letters including Lorraines.
Come on RR get the story in print to a wider public.

Re: Havering Council blunders (so far) in 2017 (click here)

Percy
Bit too early for the posters to go up teling us how wonderful the council has been,but it is time to start organising candidates to stand against the resident rats and Tories.Labour are selecting their candidates as are UKIP but a few independent residents to stand and split the resident votes would be good.

Re: Havering Council blunders (so far) in 2017 (click here)

dalek1
Thought I'd kick this thread off again.

Havering Council forks out almost £800k in two years paying over the odds for employee’s fuel expenses

Havering Council paid almost £800,000 in fuel allowance to its employees over the last two financial years while paying out at a higher rate than it needed to.

Employees who use their own vehicles for business journeys are often reimbursed with mileage allowance payments by their employers to cover the cost of using the vehicle.

Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) sets an approved amount for cars and vans: 45p for each of the first 10,000 miles.

But until an internal review of its employee terms and conditions this September, Havering Council still allowed employees to claim back 52.2p per mile.

And figures obtained by the Taxpayer’s Alliance show the local authority paid employees £793,547 in fuel allowance over the last two financial years.

In the same period, neighbouring Redbridge Council, which paid the HMRC’s recommended 45p per mile over the same period, only spent £480,836 on fuel allowance payments.

But the council has now brought its fuel allowance rates into line with HMRC guidelines.

A Havering Council spokeswoman said: “Since September 1 2017, Havering Council employees who use their own vehicles for business journeys are reimbursed 45p per mile, the HMRC’s approved rate, as a result of an internal review.”

The Department for Communities and Local Government first advised councils to stop paying above HMRC’s approved rate five years ago, and last year only 54pc of local authorities paid the recommended 45p.

Across England, Wales and Scotland, councils made £223 million in mileage allowance payments to their employees in 2016-17.

John O’Connell, chief executive of the TaxPayers’ Alliance, said: “Driving is extremely expensive in Britain thanks to sky-high rates of fuel duty and vehicle excise duty, but there’s no excuse for councils to pay more than HMRC’s approved rate for mileage.

“It’s simply not credible for local authorities to plead poverty and raise council tax while paying over the odds for basic expenses, especially when the government has been telling them to rein in these payments for the past five years.

“Councils must continue to root out wasteful spending like this so that they can deliver tax cuts for hard-pressed residents.”

Re: Havering Council blunders (so far) in 2017 (click here)

Where does this info originate, dalek?

Re: Havering Council blunders (so far) in 2017 (click here)

Havering Rate per vehicle 52.2p 2015/16       Total paid £421,212

Havering   Rate per vehicle 52.2p 2016/17       Total paid £372,335

http://www.taxpayersalliance.com/embargoed_councils_wasting_millions_by_offering_excessive_mileage_allowance_payments

Re: Havering Council blunders (so far) in 2017 (click here)

Check the online news posting of the RR.
As the Recorder seem to drifting back to its old guise of a council fanzine don't be surprised if it doesn't appear in the printed edition out tomorrow!

Re: Havering Council blunders (so far) in 2017 (click here)

When you have read about Havering councils little Hitler traffic wardens you can turn to page 16 and read about the "Nice little earner" we are paying for..... Don't miss the Havering council housing inspections on page 3.....

CLICK HERE

Re: Havering Council blunders (so far) in 2017 (click here)

Percy
How much have havering recovered by using baliffs to enforce parking fines or maybe the do not do it.

Re: Havering Council blunders (so far) in 2017 (click here)

Thanks. Is the car-allowance overpayment incompetence or a corrupt practice that was shelved after being rumbled? The paper's report is silent on this matter. If it's incompetence, there should be an investigation which may result in dismissal. If it's corruption, same thing plus the police should be called in. Any views?

Re: Havering Council blunders (so far) in 2017 (click here)

I think they do Percy. (and some people kill themselves over it)

Bailiffs collect 500,000 parking fines for London councils
By Gareth Furby
BBC London reporter
From the section
London

Last year 451,503 unpaid Penalty Charge Notices were taken on by bailiffs on behalf of London councils
Bailiffs were employed to recover nearly 500,000 parking fines in London last year, the BBC has discovered.
Councils recovered £17.5m using bailiffs to collect debts from people with unpaid parking fines - a 22% increase in two years.
One young man, who later took his own life, was told he had to pay £1,019 for two unpaid £65 parking fines.
Bailiffs act "in accordance with relevant enforcement legislation," the Civil Enforcement Association said.
"Cases are only passed to the civil enforcement agencies where the offender has failed to respond to the council," the association - which represent bailiffs - added.

Tracey Rogers said councils "need to think about what they're doing" before hiring bailiffs
Jerome Rogers took his own life shortly after his motorbike was clamped by bailiffs due to two unpaid parking fines issued by Camden Council.
Tracey Rogers, Jerome's mother, said councils "need to think about what they're doing and not put people in a worse situation".
At the inquest into Jerome's death the coroner concluded the bailiff was acting "calmly" and within the law.
Jerome was also subject to several stressors when he took his life, the inquest found.
Camden Council said it urges people who are struggling to pay debts to contact them, and that bailiff action will be suspended while a case is reviewed.

Last year 451,503 unpaid Penalty Charge Notices were taken on by bailiffs on behalf of 32 London boroughs.
Bailiffs, on the authority of the courts, are allowed to seize property if debtors fail to pay what they owe.

Re: Havering Council blunders (so far) in 2017 (click here)

Michael most of the wasters in charge in 2012 when HMRC issued this guideline have now gone but two remain.
Our wonderful council leader Roger Ramsey at the time cabinet member for value ie in control of the purse strings and who of the senior useless team was in charge of finance? Yes our erstwhile chief exec Andrew Blake-Herbert!
So did he miss this one by oversite?
Bollocks he did!

Re: Havering Council blunders (so far) in 2017 (click here)

Yes it would be nice break their cosy,you could say corrupt partnership,unfortunately you could put a dyslexic donkey up in some of our wards and the Tories would still get in.

Re: Havering Council blunders (so far) in 2017 (click here)

I was thinking also of corruption at officer level, dalek. Seems to me that this is another of those depressing examples that crop up fairly regularly in the public sector - an enormous and costly mons-up with no-one carrying the can and life going on as if nothing has happened. Oh yes, and the obligatory "lessons will be learned" mantra. By which, what do they mean - they'll try harder not to get rumbled next time? Onwards and upwards!

Re: Havering Council blunders (so far) in 2017 (click here)

Re: Havering Council blunders (so far) in 2017 (click here)

Is there a fear factor involved are our officers so frightened of retribution if they point out that policies are wrong maybe women are not allowed to speak by more powerful bosses.

Re: Havering Council blunders (so far) in 2017 (click here)

Possibly, Perc, you will know better than I do. A while ago I was told by a neighbour - who reckons he's in the know (!) - that the Leader has rings run round him by certain groups of staff and also that the Leader is only a puppet, the local MP (AR) being the person in charge. I've seen similar views on this site.
12