Havering Council backs EU 'out' vote.

confused of hornchurch

Havering Council backs EU ‘Out’ vote

00:31 28 January 2016

Sam Gelder  (Romford Recorder)

Cllr Lawrence Webb

Havering Council has tonight become the first in Britain to back the EU “Out” campaign after a controversial Ukip motion was passed.

Following an hour-long debate at the town hall, members voted by 31 to 15 that Havering would be better off outside of the EU.

Many councillors expressed their disappointment that the motion was even being discussed in place of local issues, which were skipped and ultimately left out of the meeting due to the debate over running.

But victorious Ukip leader, Cllr Lawrence Webb, defended the motion, and told the Recorder it was the outcome he expected.

“I’m very pleased,” he said. “It’s a fantastic result and it was a full and frank debate with views from both sides.”

He suggested the ground breaking vote could lead to other local authorities following suit.

He added: “I believe many more councils will take up this issue as they have to make difficult decisions about cuts to services and the level of council tax.

“It is important to understand the facts and make an informed decision.”

His controversial motion read: “Due to the negative impact that EU directives such as the agency working time directive and EU procurement rules have on the ability and cost of Havering Council to fulfil its obligations, this council agrees that Britain would be better off outside the European Union.”

During the debate, a small group of councillors, including ex-Labour MP Cllr Keith Darvill, spoke in favour of staying in the EU, but the majority in opposition simply said it wasn’t for the council to decide.

Speaking before tonight’s meeting, Ivana Bartoletti, Havering & Redbridge’s Labour candidate for the London Assembly, argued the case for staying in the EU and told Havering Council to focus on its own problems.

“Staying in Europe would certainly benefit the people of Havering in terms of supporting the economy and local business, decent conditions for workers and opportunities for young people to study and train in other European countries.

“I’d encourage Havering council to focus on Havering’s own crises. Residents would want the council to work with the police to tackle the surge in burglaries and address the issue of rough sleeping, which is the result of the Tory policies.”

Visit the website throughout the day for more on the result and pick up the Recorder tomorrow for a full report on the meeting.

Re: Havering Council backs EU 'out' vote.

Re: Havering Council backs EU 'out' vote.

Percy
not when you consider that Rosser runs the council.He is an outer but remember it is about taking more people from outside the EU pay them less for the skills they have and make them work longer hours.

Re: Havering Council backs EU 'out' vote.

bellend
now we are out of the EU I don't feel any different.

I am off over the border to Barking for some cheap booze.

Re: Havering Council backs EU 'out' vote.

bellend
euro's 133=£1

Re: Havering Council backs EU 'out' vote.

Terry Matthews

Re: Havering Council backs EU 'out' vote.

Terry Matthews

Re: Havering Council backs EU 'out' vote.

Percy
Was this used as a foil to hide bad news under.they did not discuss other motions.did they decide to increase council tax by 2% and to limit council housing or hide bad news about funding any clubs or transport for disabled.It looks like a good way to bury bad news.

Re: Havering Council backs EU 'out' vote.

Barbara Matthews
Percy it happens all the time.  The only opportunity that members have to debate or discuss issues is the full Council meeting.  There are so many serious issues at the moment that members want an input on - many you're aware of because they've been mentioned by various posters previously.  The EU item was put on the agenda and pushed ahead of other motions, including one that JeffTucker's  group submitted at the previous council meeting where there was no debate or opportunity for them to make their case.  We still do not know the date of the referendum so what was the rush?  The Council as a body does not have a vote, so what's the point?  And if anyone thinks the Government takes notice of Havering, then why do we get one of the lowest rate support grants in London?  All quite theatrical and dramatic but will achieve diddly squat.  Meanwhile means on wheels cease, parking charges are to be imposed in our parks, grants to many voluntary groups and small charities have stopped or been cut, human excreta bobbing about the river and lake in Harrow Lodge Park ....... I could go on all day!

Re: Havering Council backs EU 'out' vote.

Planning of havering
Come on terry and Barbara a democratic decision has been made and Havering has voted to leave the EU live with it or take your passport and move to a brough that is still part of the EU and pick me up some duty free cigarettes on the way

Re: Havering Council backs EU 'out' vote.

Royston Eldridge

Re: Havering Council backs EU 'out' vote

Planning of havering
English dictionary gives the definition as a small worthless amount

Re: Havering Council backs EU 'out' vote.

American slang i first heard doodley squat in hawai five oh in the 60s,

Re: Havering Council backs EU 'out' vote.

Barbara Matthews
I had no idea - as youngsters in S London we used the term if we were anywhere near adults otherwise more colourful phrases would get us a clip round the ear.  Just looked up derivations in Oxford Dictionary and it says:

Origin

1960s: probably from US slang doodle 'excrement' + squat in the sense 'defecate'.

Yuk!

Re: Havering Council backs EU 'out' vote.

Royston Eldridge

Re: Havering Council backs EU 'out' vote.

Barbara Matthews
Me too but I am not so sure I'll use this one again after reading it's origin!

Re: Havering Council backs EU 'out' vote.

Planning,
Where do you get the decision that havering has voted to leave the EU. To vote in or out  does not come from the councillors we have minds of our own and will make our own decision to vote not as the council wishes.
The vote should not have been put in front of everything else or was the mayor under orders from Rosser.
An UTTER DISGRACE.
This is typical of UKIP as was the decision to have the EU election on the same day as the council because some UKIP candidates have simply disappeared and surface at election time.