Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

That behaviour by the council is incompetent and arrogant and sums up why local authorities have (generally) such a poor reputation.

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

Phil Wailing
Yesterday I drove along miles of pot-holed roads with the boot of my car crammed with festering rubbish I realised I was now engaging in that new leisure activity of visiting the local dump. You may well be forgiven for wondering what the point of local government is these days.

For years, the only benefit I felt we obtained from our councils was having our bins emptied and, perhaps, driving from A to B without wrecking a tyre. No more, I drive a large 4x4 and my fillings are shaken out on Haverings roads.

I pay, or rather I have almost £2,000 a year removed from my bank account, the roads are becoming dangerous to drive on, my library is shut most of the week, you pay road tax to use the roads and the council charge you again if you happen to stop, there is litter everywhere, I genuinely cannot remember the last time a street cleaner came down my road. I have given up my motorbike, the roads are too dangerous and I am not getting any younger.

£1.50 to park in Tesco Collier Row, weeds growing from the potholes in my road, £130 fine for one of your tyres going on the white line of a bus lane, £45 to have your grass cuttings taken away, I have overcome this by astroturfing my garden,

Tens of thousands of cheap flats being built and no infrastructure to go with them, 4 week waiting times to see a doctor, one hospital that cannot cope, a shortage of 4,000 primary school place over the next 5 years and our councillors answer is to build 30,000 more homes.

My entire family have moved away as have the vast majority of my friends and colleagues. It was my intention to move away when I retired but alas unforeseen circumstances have stopped that which leaves me trapped in this rapidly degenerating borough.

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

Ho-Hum
The council have a WILL to pick the public's pockets.  The only place to park free in Hornchurch is on your drive...if you have one, eh?

To be fair, the chamber needs to finds money to pay their allowances and perks....I need to get a tissue.

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

Thanks Lorraine, so that would have been £90 out of your pocket and into theirs even though you had already paid and through no fault of your own, hadn't received the goods you paid for?

In my opinion, that's shameless profiteering.

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

Why drive a 4by4 in Havering none of the roads are that bad and it is them contributes to the damage. I like you had a Holiday home in South west Scotland and on retirement had to decide if I wanted to live there or here. I could sit in my conservatory and look at the hills and mountains a river ran at the back of my garden, It was green and well kept. However it was a 60 mile round trip to the nearest hospital on roads no better than locally and some so bad you could justify a 4by 4.It was 50 miles return to the nearest not that good restaurant of any sort, No  oyster card up there no buses except one at 8,30am and one back at 4pm then only when the weather allowed. The village was full of elderly folk indeed the only work was for the council either sweeping the roads or caring for the old in their homes. No internet you could use it was too slow in fact without a satellite dish no Tv except the BBC. Prices in the two local shops were twice the price of here. Once I had got too old to drive I would have been stuck in that house. We had no gas only electricity again dearer than here.
 In Havering the roads are no worse than any where else better than many .I can get into central London free in 45 minutes usually seated. When I had cancer it was only because I had access to Barts that I survived no other hospital would have operated. We have lots of good parks and walks indeed you can walk or cycle from Purfleet to Dagnum park safely and off road. I could go on about the advantages of Living in London but it would go on too long.

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

confused of hornchurch

Are you looking for a management career with Havering Council Percy?

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

Percy
Only if it's managing brown envelopes.

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

confused of hornchurch

I think they have been cracking down on those recently, most of those will be going to central government soon.

Why let lots of small fish have multiple envelopes, when the big fish can have just one large one?

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

When the situation arises, which unfortunately isn't that often these days, I spend time at Old Hunstanton which is on the A149 coast road from Kings Lynne to Cromer. Every time it snows up there the road is only passable with a 4x4 or tractor.

The services I could require at the cottage would mean having to drive to Addenbrook Hospital in Cambridge and the only way out of the road where I am would be impassible with a 2 wheel drive car, I know, I have lived there through winter months.

I also have 2 dogs and they go in the large boot behind a dog guard, I looked at a Subaru Forester, Land Rovers and the Mitsubishi Outlander, I bought a vehicle that fits my needs.

Going slightly off piste - my next door neighbour in Old Hunstanton is a Hunstanton Town Councillor and his councillor allowances are ZERO they dont get them.

http://www.hunstantontowncouncil.gov.uk/the-council.html

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

bellend
lovely drive that coast road in the summer, nice towns and villages. and inland too.

When do you get time, with all those dishes and ironing to do?

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

" his councillor allowances are ZERO they don't get them."

Does that mean that he does it for the good of the community rather than financial gain?

He must be native to that area, a kind of rare, lesser spotted councillor.

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

Holiday homes,4 by 4s,our illustrious councillors will need bigger allowances and envelopes to keep up,if as suspect they will.

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

I know Hunstanton well had to sleep in a shop one night when it got impossible to get up the hill on the way out one cold February day. It was the wind put me off moving there or Kings Lynn it cuts through you like a knife. Yes having had cancer I knew it was no good living somewhere 40 miles away from a hospital. They talk of post code lotteries but provision for the rural areas is worse.

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

The plan was to have a Harley Davidson in summer and the 4x4 in winter. Unfortunately life changed and that dream has gone. Make the most of today you never know what tomorrow holds.

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

Percy
Better it is to live one day seeing the rise and fall of things than to live a hundred years without ever seeing the rise and fall of things.

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

Shameless profiteering Connie?
I'd call  it running a blatant scam!
At the top end of London road just past Cottons the parking meters the ones where you pay for three hours and can only park for two.
Despite myself informing Jason Frost and Steve Moore of this discrepancy nothing has been done in over a year so they obviously  see this a cash cow and so long as they can get away with it.
Who on earth can bring them bring them to book on this?

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

confused of hornchurch

Nobody, they are a law unto themselves.

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

Yes Connie they do it because they care. Two town councillors have just packed up so there are a couple of vacancys. None of them are political they are just good people caring for the community where they live.

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

confused of hornchurch

That's heartening to hear, so being a councillor doesn't have to be about big expense accounts and brown envelopes.

123