Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

Lorraine Moss
Well here we go again.  What is it with my family and parking tickets?

My partner Richards permit had expired so he ordered a new one online.  He placed a note in his car clearly displaying the payment  reference number.  Residents used to be able to purchase a new permit over the counter at the PACS centre but this service was withdrawn around 2 years ago.  You therefore have to wait for Havering council to process the application (the payment is taken at the time when you order) and then send out the permit.  Surely, the note with a genuine payment reference number would prevent their parking attendants issuing  a ticket?

Surprise, surprise,  he gets a parking ticket.  I called Havering council and they said that they had sent a new permit in the post which we never received.  Then the next day, Richard was issued with another ticket!
This is despite the fact that I had submitted an appeal on his behalf the day before and asked them to ensure that no further tickets would be issued.

He has now got 2 letters about both of the tickets and they are refusing his appeal.  This is the good bit, even though a resident has paid for a permit that they cannot display in their car or collect from anywhere, they are now saying that it is the responsibility of the owner to display a visitors parking permit whilst they wait for the permit that they have paid for to arrive.  These visitors permits cost £1.25 each and only last for four hours.  So you have to pay twice !!

There is another interesting twist to this story, if you have not got any visitors permits, you can not get them over the counter and have to order them online and wait for them to be sent in the post.

This is a total joke and I have just emailed the head of Environment and the cabinet member.  I will let you know how we get on.

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

confused of hornchurch

(the payment is taken at the time when you order) Then you HAVE paid.

Any attempt to penalise you further is just extracting the urine.

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

Do you often feel you and Richard are being targeted?
This happened a while back to  your eldest son if memory serves me correct.
I would say to Richard take the matter to the parking ombudsman for sure and hopefully it will stop the scumbags in their tracks.
Its just another Havering run scam.

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

"These visitors permits cost £1.25 each and only last for four hours."

So does that mean the realistic cost for 24 hours parked outside your own house would be £1.25 x 6 four hour periods?

I make that an additional £7.50 per day or £14 for the weekend.

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

Percy
Perhaps Havering council will be honest and start to ban parking in the streets. Its dangerous and impedes movement.

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

bellend
they are desperate to get the dreaded yellow paint all over havering, sell your cars and buy roller skates, they have tried to daub the stuff where I live, bruce ave  have just had a questionnaire on the subject, but it looks more like a feasibility study.

Residents of Barking and Dagenham now have virtual permits see https://www.lbbd.gov.uk/residents/parking-travel-and-roads/parking-permits/parking-permit-applications/

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

Lorraine Moss
My youngest son passed his test last week, he also has ordered and paid for his permit online and is still waiting to receive his new permit in the post.  He has has to put visitors permits in to avoid getting a ticket.  Why can't Havering get with the times and send either a printable temporary permit of like Barking and Dagenham provide virtual ones?

My eldest son who got a ticket a few months back, appealed and never heard anymore.  Then when he was having trouble getting post found out that Havering had refused the appeal and sent the letter to the wrong address in Carlisle Road.  However, my son then sent off quite a few emails and Havering then waived his ticket. They had even issued a court order for him to pay !

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

confused of hornchurch

Seems like the more confusion they generate, the more cash they can take.

Maybe they have no interest in providing a better service?

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

What a total waste of public money!
It costs to raise a court summons plus all the letters and staff time.
I'm sure they think its worth it.

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

Good news, I received an email today and all 3 of the PCN's have been waived.  They are sticking to their guns that they were correctly issued.  However, I am pleased with the result.

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

dalek1
All hail the Mossy!
You don't quit and your  tenacity is a beacon for everyone fighting the thieves in the Main road nest of vipers.

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

confused of hornchurch

They obviously weren't correctly issued or the council wouldn't have buckled. You were innocent because you HAD paid. It's the fault of the council if they have no way of letting the wardens know you had paid.

Even so, it took determination to get the correct result, and they know only too well that a lot of people will pay up rather than suffer the inconvenience of an appeal. Well done!

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

As a matter of interest, how much did those three PCN's amount to in cash?

(how much would they have tucked you up if you hadn't have pursued it)?

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

MR H
The hundreds of millions of pounds that the LONDON BOROUGH OF HAVERING Corporation stash away, and they chase ordinary working people. This is harassment, plain and simple. Are our council worried about wittling down the reserves!!
It's not the SIZE of the dog in the fight.............it's the size of the FIGHT in the dog that counts.

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

confused of hornchurch

What a cheek!

​ " 29 The council takes no responsibility for permits lost in the post."

So you pay the fee, the post office loses the permits or delivers to the wrong address and YOU have to pay the fine?

Not good enough, if it's THAT important they will have to deliver them by registered post. Why should the permit applicant pay a price for everybody else's negligence?

Connie thats pure opportunist lets chance our arm Havering mode of operation.
I bet if Havering would have taken Lorraines partner to court the case would have been chucked out.

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

confused of hornchurch

I'm sure it would have been, because she/he HAD paid the fee. I suppose Havering would have argued that their comprehensive list of terms and conditions state that is the duty of the applicant to apply in plenty of time. Just how an applicant is supposed to estimate the time it will take to receive the permits I don't know.

I suppose to be on the safe side you should order them three months in advance?

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

dalek1
Good point Connie but if you asked three months in advance they would probably say you are applying too early come back in three months so the day your permit runs out we can rob you of 130 smackers
although we failed to deliver it on time.

Re: Havering Council Expect People To Pay Twice To Park Outside Their Own Home

HI Confused, I believe they were £30 each ticket.