Harriet Harman has accused the Daily Mail of running a "politically-motivated smear campaign" against her.

Harriet Harman has accused the Daily Mail of running a "politically-motivated smear campaign" against her.

bellend
The newspaper has reported that a civil liberties group she used to work for had links to paedophile rights campaigners in the 1970s and 1980s.

The Labour deputy leader told the BBC she had never been an "apologist for paedophilia" and had sought to protect children from abuse during her career.

But the newspaper said she had failed to answer its questions.

From 1978 to 1982 Ms Harman was legal officer at the National Council for Civil Liberties, which was the predecessor to campaign group Liberty.

'Not apologising'
The Daily Mail has questioned the politician, her MP husband Jack Dromey, and former health secretary Patricia Hewitt over their actions while officials at the National Council for Civil Liberties (NCCL) in the 1970s and 1980s and its ties with the Paedophile Information Exchange - a group which spoke positively about adults who were attracted to children.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

My work has always been, when I was at NCCL and when I have been in politics and ministerial office, to protect children, especially from child abuse”

Harriet Harman
Although the body granted "affiliate" status to the Paedophile Information Exchange (PIE) prior to her appointment, Ms Harman said the NCCL was "an organisation which anyone could apply to join and indeed any organisation could apply to be 'an affiliate' on payment of a fee".

There is no evidence to suggest that Ms Harman, Mr Dromey or Ms Hewitt personally supported the views of PIE.

Ms Harman told BBC Two's Newsnight. "It is not the case that my work, when I was at NCCL, was influenced by PIE, was apologising for paedophilia or colluding with paedophilia. That is an unfair inference and a smear.

"My work has always been, when I was at NCCL and when I have been in politics and ministerial office, to protect children, especially from child abuse."

'Contrition'
Earlier, she released a statement that the newspaper's allegations were "horrific" and she denied all of them.

"The editor and proprietor of the Daily Mail are entitled to their political views and they are of course entitled to oppose what I stand for but they are not entitled to use their newspaper to smear me with innuendo because they disagree with me politically and hate my values.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

The belated statements today of Ms Harman and her husband - full of pedantry and obfuscation - failed to answer the Mail's central points”

Daily Mail spokesman
"I sincerely hope people won't believe these smears... but given the seriousness and the aggression with which the Daily Mail are pursuing me, I feel that I need to put the facts in the public domain."

But the Daily Mail claimed the shadow culture secretary had failed to answer the main charges it had made against her in a series of articles and instead denied allegations it had not made.

"For ten weeks now the Mail has repeatedly asked three leading Labour figures to answer questions about the involvement of the NCCL, a body in which they played leading roles, with a vile paedophile group," a spokesman said.

"The belated statements today of Ms Harman and her husband - full of pedantry and obfuscation - failed to answer the Mail's central points."

'Decency'
Labour leader Ed Miliband had earlier said his deputy was "somebody of huge decency and integrity - I don't set any store by these allegations".

A statement released by Mr Dromey said: "Sexual abuse of children is evil and I have always viewed paedophiles and any group associated with them as evil.

"During my time on the NCCL Executive, I was at the forefront of repeated public condemnations of PIE and their despicable views. Then, when I was elected chairman, I took them on.

"I personally chaired the NCCL conference that, on my recommendation, refused to back by a massive majority a loathsome motion from a leading light in PIE calling on NCCL to support the so-called 'rights' of paedophiles. Indeed, my stand was denounced in a leaflet distributed by PIE to the delegates to the Conference.

"Like many organisations in the 1970s, NCCL had been infiltrated but that was the moment the tide was turned. I closed the conference saying that we had to stand up for the rights of children not to be sexually abused and that adults guilty of abuse were the lowest of the low.

"I was then the first to argue that paedophiles could have no place in NCCL.

"As a lifelong opponent of evil men who abuse children, the accusations of the Daily Mail are untrue and beneath contempt."

Ms Hewitt, who stood down as an MP in 2010, has yet to comment on the story.

Re: Harriet Harman has accused the Daily Mail of running a "politically-motivated smear campaign" against her.

Independent man
Gutter press only the brain dead would believe anything printed in that rag, they are slinging mud and hoping some will stick, they tried it with Millband dead father but come unstuck.
Drop that Drip Double Dip Dave

Re: Harriet Harman has accused the Daily Mail of running a "politically-motivated smear campaign" against her.

Trojan Horse
The nonses have come unstuck.
Do Labour supporters really love Queens Hospital?

I think you will find you have to prove someone is a nonse, you cant take the word of the Daily Mail, now the wicked witchs best mate and big time tory supporter J.S he was a nonse.
Drop that Drip Double Dip Dave

Re: Harriet Harman has accused the Daily Mail of running a "politically-motivated smear campaign" against her.

Ho-Hum
Harman can squirm all she likes but she supported PIE.  Now BIG 'ED is supporting her, which means more questions should be asked within the Labour leadership and its front bunch.  In my view, Miliband should be ushering her into a quiet corner, otherwise known as gently sacking her.

Re: Harriet Harman has accused the Daily Mail of running a "politically-motivated smear campaign" against her.

Ho-Hum
'Paedogate' Gets Worse For Harriet Harman As PIE Leader Tom O'Carroll Reveals New Details.

Harriet Harman and Patricia Hewitt failed to take action to oust the Paedophile Information Exchange (PIE) because they "didn't want to rock the boat", its former chairman has claimed.

In real terms this means political ambition before child safety.  THEY SHOULD BE SACKED.

It must be true I read it in the Daily Mail, I would not beleive the date on that rag bag gutter press but it can fool some folk thats for sure.

It's become a 'GATE' issue so, so things must be hotting for the Labour front bench.  Paedogate status has been reached.  Time for some apologies from Hewitt and Harman or at least for them to admit their naivity and lack of political acumen.

The whole issue is a nothing story that the mail is trying to keep going, because the tories are falling in the polls, their going to get their arse kicked in the local elections and Double Dip Dave cocked up over the floods in the south of england.
Drop that Drip Double Dip Dave

Re: Harriet Harman has accused the Daily Mail of running a "politically-motivated smear campaign" against her.

Winchy
Another horrible Blairite who needs to be put out to grass.

A shame it was left to the Mail to give the story mainstream coverage – I read about this years ago on a few different blogs (leftwing or non-political, not just rightwing like the Mail).

Even worse is Barking MP Hodge’s role in the Islington care homes scandal (google it if you don’t know).  The most vulnerable made to suffer in the name of  identity politics and ‘oppressed minority’ obsessions.

Re: Harriet Harman has accused the Daily Mail of running a "politically-motivated smear campaign" against her.

Trojan Horse
Old news is right that should have taken root years ago but better late than never.  Harman, I believe, knew one day her stupidity would come back to haunt her, which is why she never stood for the Labour leadership.
Do Labour supporters really love Queens Hospital?