Harold Hill shopping area.

OLD CODGER
I had to go to the Natwest bank in the shopping center  as the Collier row branch had closed and I parked next to the Havering Council parking warden by the bank and had to go hunting for a machine that worked and when I went back to my car I told the warden and he said the mechanic was working on them.
Went back today and guess what no repairs had been done at all the same machines were in the same condition and a paper notice  on one of them had not been touched.
But they can sit there and the bus stop in Romford .
They also turned up after the vehicles that were causing problems  in Havering Road by the school and further up parking across peoples drives and on the Pavement had gone.
Useless p.....

Re: Harold Hill shopping area.

Percy
You can pay over the phone in many boroughs but never mind soon you will have a chip in your car that will send a message to bill your account whenever you park in the street. They will have to do that to get money from the electric cars to pay for the extra electricity.

Re: Harold Hill shopping area.

Phil Wailing
Percy I have just changed my car (Tuesday) and I seriously looked at buying an electric vehicle. It's not till you look at it that you realise 99% of all motorists can not use an electric vehicle.

In Havering there is nowhere to charge the thing once you have left home and most of the vehicles on sale have an average range of 80 miles unless you buy a Tesla and they start at £50k and go 350 miles.

On discovering how impractical electric cars are I purchased a turbo charged diesel 4x4, just the job and averages 50mpg

Re: Harold Hill shopping area.

Phil Wailing
Should add a replacement battery for a Nissan Leaf is £4,950

Nissan will do a deal where you lease the battery but that varies from £55 to £75 a month.

Re: Harold Hill shopping area.

Percy
Exactly but there are charge points on the Orchard estate and at the premiere hotelHowever most electric cars are small not able to carry a load .When I see a lorry running on electric I will buy one but not with the technology now. UPS do  have a few hybrid vans but are like big milk floats.

Re: Harold Hill shopping area.

However road charging will come out sooner than electric lorries.

Re: Harold Hill shopping area.

Ok so the battery costs nearly as much as the car.
However whats the life of battery?
Will it last as long as  the car?
And why as country do we have so few power points to top up?
Or more to the point is this country really taking green cars seriously?
I doubt we will be told.

Re: Harold Hill shopping area.

Phil Wailing
Nissan claim the battery life is 5 to 10 years depending on how much it is charged. These vehicles have been on sale in the USA since 2011 and they have suffered serious battery degradation and by 2016 their range was down to 35 miles.

The 2018 Leaf has a new battery which they claim will give a range of 235 miles but that was not on the road when I was looking into electric vehicles. At the time of looking at electric vehicles I came to the decision there is no way I would buy a Leaf as it doesn't suit my needs and there is too much uncertainty about range and battery life.

How many electric vehicle charging points have you seen in Havering? How many electric vehicle charging points have you seen in the UK.

A home charging system takes 7 hours to fully charge the battery and a rapid charging system takes 30 minutes to give an 80% charge giving a range on the model I looked at of less than 60 miles. If you left Romford for Southend in an 80% charged Leaf there is every probability you will not get home.

You are now on the A127 with a flat Nissan Leaf, you can't phone one of your mates to go to the garage and get a can of electricity.

Re: Harold Hill shopping area.

bellend
I pay £170 for a top of range battery drill you get 3 batteries with it, last about a year each during that year they slowly degrade, replacement batteries cost £60ish each, a diy one used every few months could last 5/10 years. the technology is not there yet, no way would I spend a fortune on a battery car.

Re: Harold Hill shopping area.

OLD CODGER
Why did I bother posting about the parking meters and just what is the crap about car batteries to do with parking meters.
Does this meter problem come under Lorraine.

Re: Harold Hill shopping area.

Michael Towner
That's what I was thinking, OC. There again, these threads seem to get a life of their own.

Re: Harold Hill shopping area.

Hi Old Codger, sorry when I initially read the post, I thought you were talking about Collier Row.  I will report this and let you know when I get a response.

Re: Harold Hill shopping area.

Response received today;

"Dear Ms Moss

Thank you for your e-mail.  Parking Enforcement are aware that one machine is not working and they are currently awaiting parts to arrive.  Unfortunately due to the age of the machine the only parts available are having to be sent from Switzerland, hence the delay.  They are not aware of any other pay and display machines not working at this location, however they will deploy officers to inspect".

Re: Harold Hill shopping area.

bellend
at least we have the peace of mind to know not every penny of our fines are going to the council, some of it goes to those good people of switzerland

Re: Harold Hill shopping area.

I've heard a few excuses in my time, but "waiting parts from Switzerland" breaks new ground. 10/10 for telling porkies, 0/10 for great service!

Re: Harold Hill shopping area.

Michael Towner
Also invites a question about the age / repairability of other machines in the borough and the overall strategy for managing them....but I'll leave this to John Green to sort out. Life's too short for such things.

Re: Harold Hill shopping area.

OLD CODGER
Thanks Lorraine I made it 2 but I will check tomorrow.

Re: Harold Hill shopping area.

Rumour has it, it will only accept Swiss Francs but if it's Swiss made at least the mechanism will be reliable.

Good to know the residents of Harold Hill are supporting the Swiss economy.

Re: Harold Hill shopping area.

Percy
They only need a poster on each of the machines stating that in the event of a machine not working you can still pay by phoning a number or texting .

Re: Harold Hill shopping area.

confused of hornchurch

Not convenient for the older generation, some of whom don't have a mobile phone, or don't carry it with them.
12