Government Back To Work Scheme Breached Law, Says Court of Appeal

Government Back To Work Scheme Breached Law, Says Court of Appeal

Lorraine Moss
From BBC News

Back-to-work scheme breached laws, says Court of Appeal

Miss Reilly said she was told she had to work for free at a Poundland store stacking shelves
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories
Defeat for 'forced labour' claim
Government work schemes explained
Government job scheme 'Orwellian'
A university graduate has won a legal challenge on appeal, claiming that a government scheme forces people to work without pay.

Cait Reilly, 24, claimed that requiring her to work for free at a Poundland store breached laws banning slavery and forced labour.

The University of Birmingham geology graduate lost her original case at the High Court, but has now won on appeal.

Her solicitors said this could have major implications for jobseekers.

Three judges in London ruled that the regulations under which most of the government's back-to-work schemes were created were unlawful and quashed them.

Miss Reilly, from Birmingham, and 40-year-old unemployed HGV driver Jamie Wilson, from Nottingham, both succeeded in their claims that the unpaid schemes were legally flawed.

Mr Wilson was told that his jobseeker's allowance would be stopped after he refused to take part in the Community Action Programme, which his lawyers said would have involved him working unpaid for 30 hours per week for six months.

Their solicitors said that the ruling meant "all those people who have been sanctioned by having their jobseekers' allowance withdrawn for non-compliance with the back-to-work schemes affected will be entitled to reclaim their benefits".

Re: Government Back To Work Scheme Breached Law, Says Court of Appeal

Romfordian
This post was updated on .
I don't think they should claim there back dated job seekers allowance THE companies that employed them as slaves should pay them as full employees and give compensation
Not a party activist but WAS a Labour supporter

Re: Government Back To Work Scheme Breached Law, Says Court of Appeal

bellend
Congratulations to Boycott Workfare and everyone involved in the fight against workfare! The government’s odious schemes have been ruled unlawful by judges.

Work and Pensions Secretary Ian Duncan Smith's plans have seen tens of thousands of people put to work without pay and many more put at risk of destitution through sanctions.

Joanna Long, a member of Boycott Workfare, said:

“Today’s ruling is a victory of the people against a government which thought it could compel unemployed and sick people to work without pay, backed by a vicious regime of sanctions which made the poorest far poorer.

“We are confident this spells the end for workfare in the UK. The only remaining scheme is wobbling due to public pressure on the charities profiting from free labour. If Iain Duncan Smith attempts to legislate for workfare in future, he should know that we will not allow it. Tens of businesses and charities are already boycotting his schemes, and today’s ruling shows that workfare is not only wrong, it is also unlawful.”

Re: Government Back To Work Scheme Breached Law, Says Court of Appeal

The Ear

Re: Government Back To Work Scheme Breached Law, Says Court of Appeal

I think that if there is a job to do then she should be paid the proper rate and then come off job seekers allowance-If not she should be seeking a job-"job seekers allowance" get it.

However I cannot see any problems with unemployed people volunteering for some forms of charity work with small financial benefits awarded-also experienced gained including work ethos, and the words "Charity volunteer" are always impressive on a CV.

Otherwise think about being self employed-I made a million from my look alike GAZZER blow up dolls and GAZZERS sexy mood luuuuuv CDs, easy eh.

Re: Government Back To Work Scheme Breached Law, Says Court of Appeal

Ho-Hum
Poundland Graduate Cait Reilly Wins Appeal....And good luck to you girl.

Re: Government Back To Work Scheme Breached Law, Says Court of Appeal

Ho-Hum
I'm sure Chris Huhne won't mind stacking shelves in Pounland now he's unemployed.

Re: Government Back To Work Scheme Breached Law, Says Court of Appeal

confused of hornchurch

I'm not sure he would have the required competencies.