Global Debt

Ho-Hum
A rich German tourist is driving through a Greek village, stops at the local hotel and lays a €100 note on the desk, telling the hotel owner he wants to inspect the rooms upstairs in order to pick one to spend the night.

The owner gives him some keys and, as soon as the visitor has walked upstairs, the hotelier grabs the €100 note and runs next door to pay his debt to the butcher. The butcher takes the €100 note and runs down the street to repay his debt to the pig farmer. The pig farmer takes the €100 note and heads off to pay his bill at the supplier of feed and fuel. The guy at the Farmers' Co-op takes the €100 note and runs to pay his drinks bill at the taverna. The publican slips the money along to the local prostitute drinking at the bar, who has also been facing hard times and has had to offer him "services" on credit. The hooker then rushes to the hotel and pays off her room bill to the hotel owner with the €100 note.

The hotel proprietor then places the €100 note back on the counter so the rich traveller will not suspect anything. At that moment the traveller comes down the stairs, picks up the €100 note, states that the rooms are not satisfactory, pockets the money, and leaves town.

No one produced anything. No one earned anything. However, the whole village is now out of debt and looking to the future with a lot more optimism. And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is how the bailout package works.

Re: Global Debt

Percy.
It was Australian town when I heard that some years ago he must have moved.

Re: Global Debt

Ho-Hum
Actually, when I first heard it, it was a hundred years ago and the rich guy was in the USA.

Re: Global Debt

Percy.
I heard it was a guy called William came over to the UK from Normandy to take over the crown as the royals were broke.

Re: Global Debt

Hmmm similar to a post/thread that I posted a while back-all about our economic and fiscal structure being nothing but a big ponce scheme-why not just keep printing money-infact it struck me quite a while ago that most of the money I earn and pay out are just numbers on a online computer generated banking web site.

Perhaps this money just don't exist-if everybody in this country went to the banks on the same day and withdrew all there cash-would they be able to pay out.