Gidea Park Planning Application Refused

Lorraine Moss
From The Recorder

Garage in Gidea Park can’t be converted into house after 118 residents oppose idea

Ian Weinfass, Senior reporter
Monday, February 4, 2013
6:30 PM

A garage can’t be turned into a house, after it was narrowly refused planning permission.

Comments Email Print
Havering Council’s regulatory services committee heard on Thursday of last week that 118 Gidea Park residents had signed a petition against the plans.

The new home was planned in an area behind the A127 Southend Arterial Road, roughly opposite the Renault Garage.

Resident Judith Holt, told the committee: “There’s no room for visitor parking, most of the parking places are private to residents of Ferguson Court.”

She said that there had been traffic problems and “several near misses” of children from cars in the area already.

A spokesman for the applicant said that cars drive into the garage at the moment so there would not be an increase in traffic issues.

Squirrels Heath ward councillor Lynden Thorpe also spoke against the plan, outlining a number of concerns including that emergency services wouldn’t be able to access the area in the event of a fire.

Cllr Barry Tebbutt (Conservative, Brooklands) pointed out that the committee had previously approved similar applications based as long as adequate sprinkler systems were installed.

Meanwhile, Cllr Steven Kelly (Conservative, Emerson Park), sitting as a substitute member on the committee, said that he thought the plan met all the necessary requirements.

The committee rejected the proposal by six votes to five, on the basis that the site was an overbearing development and there was limited access for the emergency services.

Re: Gidea Park Planning Application Refused

Lorraine Moss
Just read this online and the name Judith Holt sounds very familiar to me.  I am sure that she is a member of the Conservative party.

Re: Gidea Park Planning Application Refused

Lorraine Moss
I knew I had heard the name before see http://www.romfordconservatives.com/person/judith-holt

Vice-Chairman (Local Government and Community Action)

Judith has been involved for over six years, co-ordinating the M.P.’s delivery network and working with local Councillors to campaign on community issues. She teaches at Gidea Park College.

Re: Gidea Park Planning Application Refused

Percy.
More council tax lost due to the precious Tories blocking any developments in Emerson park and gidea park its a disgrace can we not impeach the committee for losing us money.

Re: Gidea Park Planning Application Refused

Romfordian
Most unusual generaly when Cllr Barry Tebbutt  Cllr Steven Kelly Gve the nod for a development to be passed it goes through So someone with more influnce had a vested interst in refuseng the aplication
Not a party activist but WAS a Labour supporter

Re: Gidea Park Planning Application Refused

Lorraine Moss
Hi Romfordian glad you found your way here.

That is exactly what I thought, I bet if this application was in one of our roads and we raised the same objections, it would be passed without question.

Lorrain there were more people objecting in Harold hill against the developments and they went through So yes one rule for Emerson Park /Gidea Park and another for the rest
Not a party activist but WAS a Labour supporter

Re: Gidea Park Planning Application Refused

Independent man
Over 2000 people wanted to stop the housing development that is now almost completed on the old oldchurch hospital site-but Oldchurch Rd residents don,t have the sway that the Gidea park set have.
Drop that Drip Double Dip Dave