Fraud at Havering Council (part three)

confused of hornchurch

Two more resign over fraud scandal at Havering Council.

07:00 07 December 2015

Sam Gelder  (Romford Recorder)

Havering Town Hall.

An ongoing fraud scandal at Havering Council has resulted in two more workers resigning following internal investigations.

Related articles
More workers caught up in fraud scandal at Havering Council
Havering Council staff caught up in fraud scandal as benefit cheats steal £1.5m
One sacked, two resign after fraud investigations at Havering Council

Between July and September, 13 new referrals were made internally, six of which were handed over to the criminal fraud team.

In total, seven staff members were found to have committed fraud. Two resigned, two were disciplined and three were given management action plans.

The revelations are the latest in a continuing saga within the town hall. Between April and June, one worker resigned, two were disciplined and four were put on action plans after internal investigations.

And in June, the Recorder revealed the council had taken action against 34 of the 59 staff members investigated for fraud in 2014/15.

Of those, two were sacked, six resigned, nine were disciplined and one was prosecuted.

The council has now explained their processes surrounding fraud.

A spokeswoman said: “All new employees receive fraud awareness training as part of their induction including when and how to report fraud and guidance on their own expected standards of behaviour.

“If an employee is suspected of fraudulent activity we use data matching tools and other methods to determine if there is any substance to the allegations.

“The team of qualified criminal investigators liaise with other external bodies and government agencies, including the police where necessary, to establish the facts and progress the investigation accordingly.

“Where fraudulent activity is established to a criminal standard and is in the public interest, we seek redress through prosecution, including proceeds of crime recovery, as well as disciplinary or civil proceedings as appropriate.”

Re: Fraud at Havering Council (part three)

Norman
Banned User

tip of the iceberg!!!---havering council is riddled with corruption going all the way to the top---one senior officer actually said - sack a few people to pretend were in control of things!!!

Re: Fraud at Havering Council (part three)

confused of hornchurch

Ooh no, I can't believe that Norman.

Re: Fraud at Havering Council (part three)

dalek1
As I've said before get the Met involved. Fraud is a crime as Damien White said so get them in and sort this out once and for all. Unless of course there's something they don't want us to know.

Re: Fraud at Havering Council (part three)

bellend
it's what we don't know, that terrifies me.

Re: Fraud at Havering Council (part three)

dalek1
Yes it scares me to Bellend but we need to know it. This is our laughably so called transparrent council in all its glory.

Re: Fraud at Havering Council (part three)

They've always pissed money down the drain, and if they have a budget shortfall they increase the council tax or find some trumped up excuse to bleed local motorists dry.

Easy come, easy go.

Re: Fraud at Havering Council (part three)

starry eyes
Totally agree with you dalek 1 Fraud is a serious offence, so lets get the police in, but who is going to be the whistleblower?

Re: Fraud at Havering Council (part three)

Thats a good point Starry Eyes. who will blow the lid off this can of worms? This might cause a lot of in fighting amongst the staff in the housing dept. The strange thing is in one the previous threads on the same subject and in the Recorder article it was mentioned one person would be prosecuted. Not very strange that theres been no coverage of this in our esteemed local media. I'll stick to my original theory that some low level flunky will take the blame and the big boys and girls very high up will get off Scot free.

Re: Fraud at Havering Council (part three)

disgruntled employee
Too bloody right - and the union will be no use to the low grade staff but won't expose what's going on!

Re: Fraud at Havering Council (part three)

Ho-Hum
Now look, if fraud means theft from the Council Tax Payer's pocket, of course there should be a police investigation.

Pickpockets should be pursued by the law, arrested and stand trial.  How can this be disputed?

The powers that be are trying to trivialise the matter and write off the incident.  The brooms are out and the carpet is lifted.

Justice should be served for the local tax payer.

Re: Fraud at Havering Council (part three)

Royston Eldridge

Re: Fraud at Havering Council (part three)

Phil Wailing
It can't be stopped E7, the web spreads too far.

Its a bit like Savile, Cyril Smith & Janner, you only find out when those involved can't be touched.

Everything a council deals with is open to corruption.

Re: Fraud at Havering Council (part three)

orangered60
My ex wife was prosecuted on five counts for fraud by Havering Council in early 2014.She  had no money and her and my talented children faced homelessness and a life of penury.Besides my own mortgage I decided to pay her rent.The Council had even valued my house to use to pay off the so called debts.The Council officials did not listen to me nor my ex wife when "discussing finances. They saw her as an easy target and expected her to plead guilty.
    After two years the Tribunal Case was won and Havering Council's prosecution case collapsed.She is due some money back fro Havering Council.I have had to use all of my savings , pensions etc and keep working even though my health is not robust.
  Overall the family have been treated with contempt by the Council.
   As for the local MP her initial suggestion was to have free advice from supervised students!
   My children are high achievers academically and have won countless sports medals.
   I doubt if the Romford Recorder will be interested because the case will be embarrassing for the Council after so many hours of investigations, mountains of paperwork etc and wasting Council tax money!

Sent from Samsung Mobile

It can't be stopped E7, the web spreads too far.

Its a bit like Savile, Cyril Smith & Janner, you only find out when those involved can't be touched.

Everything a council deals with is open to corruption.

http://havering-forum.46540.x6.nabble.com/Fraud-at-Havering-Council-part-three-tp39771p41311.html
To start a new topic under Havering Forum..., email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Havering Forum..., click here.
NAML

Bob

Re: Fraud at Havering Council (part three)

Bob
I had pictures of councilors colluding with developers and shaking hands after meetings.however it was a waste of time as no no one would publish them.At least the buggers have lost their seats now.
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

They never learn, they think they are invincible, then it all comes tumbling down. I have no sympathy for greed and corruption, Whoever is investigating, carry on, let it all come out, then maybe the public will see them for what they are.

Re: Fraud at Havering Council (part three)

disgruntled employee
The whole thing's rotten https://scrutinyreal.wordpress.com/. Who could investigate?

Re: Fraud at Havering Council (part three)

Well done to you and your ex mate.
It need's people to stand up to those bullying fuckers.
How much did this cost Havering taxpayer?
Two years of stress for you and the amount of man time stationary costs their legal experts (ha ha) fees plus hidden costs such as heating lighting etc.
This is how they operate.
It's a pity they didn't invest the time in your ex's case in sorting out their own internal fraud and we might have a half decent LA.
I had a case against them when they relied on lying and ignorance to win the case.
When I threatened to go public which I did to some extent then they sort of backed down.
Thats Havering council for you. Bullies liers cheats and frauds.

Re: Fraud at Havering Council (part three)

starry eyes
Freemasonary has a lot to answer for. It was originally supposed to be that that you did good, now that it just a cover up, you scratch my back and I will scratch yours. My ex son in law joined, was doing 120 miles per hour on a bike on the M25 , they was about to ticket him, he showed that he was a member of the Freemasons and he was let off, it is just another way of letting people gwtting away with murder.
12