End all your financial woes.... Get rich quick....

End all your financial woes.... Get rich quick....

1) Get elected as a local councillor...

2) Get yourself appointed to the planning committee....

Labour has been plunged into a corruption scandal after a businessman with close ties to the party was secretly recorded demanding a £2m bribe from property developers seeking to build one of Britain’s tallest skyscrapers.

In the recording — obtained by The Sunday Times — the businessman claimed he was acting on behalf of Labour politicians who could guarantee planning permission for the proposed £500m development in the Isle of Dogs, east London.

He was introduced by Shiria Khatun, a deputy mayor of Labour- controlled Tower Hamlets council, as someone who could assist with planning.

He later sent a contract to the developers setting out the illicit deal in which he would “deliver planning approval” from Tower Hamlets at a “premium of £2,000,000”. Four Labour politicians would be given “half a mill” each, he claimed.

The revelations come as Labour is attempting to clean up politics in the borough following the sacking of disgraced independent mayor Lutfur Rahman, who was found guilty of election fraud two years ago, shortly before the secret recording was made. The party has a history of corruption scandals in councils such as Doncaster and North Lanarkshire.

Tower Hamlets has passed the latest bribery allegations to the National Crime Agency, which is investigating.

The businessman is Abdul Shukur “Shuks” Khalisadar, a 38-year-old entrepreneur who runs a business centre in Whitechapel, east London.

He played a key role in rallying support among business people for the borough’s current Labour mayor, John Biggs, and has been photographed meeting key national party figures such as Harriet Harman when she was deputy leader.

At the time, the firm was seeking planning permission to build a development called Alpha Square close to Canary Wharf. The project’s centrepiece is a 65-storey tower which would be the fifth tallest building in Britain.

Shuks says Khatun introduced him to Connolly at a meeting in October 2015 as someone who could help overcome the company’s planning problems. Connolly says in an internal memo, leaked to this newspaper, that the deputy mayor told him that Shuks “can help get planning consent”.

Shuks then took Connolly to one side and offered a guarantee of planning consent in return for a £2m payment plus a consultancy fee of £15,000 a month. He also offered to secure permission for the second stage of Alpha Square for a further £2m.

He claimed that most of the money would go to “gatekeepers” which he said were Labour politicians who had held power in the area for many years. “To be frank,” he said. “A bulk of the premium’s got to go to these greedy f****** — not me. I’m being blatant.”

THE SUNDAY TIMES

Re: End all your financial woes.... Get rich quick....

Phil Wailing
Tower Hamlets is the most densely populated borough in the country.

Tower Hamlets has a population 306,000

Havering has a population of 255,000

Tower Hamlets has 20 wards

Havering has 18 wards

Tower Hamlets has 45 councillors

Havering has 54 councillors (2 less wards and 9 more councillors)

The Special Responsibility Allowance for a cabinet member in Tower Hamlets is £13,065

The Special Responsibility Allowance for a cabinet member in Havering is £28,780 (more than double)

Get rich quick in Tower Hamlets?

Re: End all your financial woes.... Get rich quick....

Re: End all your financial woes.... Get rich quick....

Rastaozzie
Tower Hamlets is like a third world country

Re: End all your financial woes.... Get rich quick....

The population of Tower hamlets is 51,000 greater than Havering

Tower Hamlets has 8 cabinet members

Havering has 10

Tower Hamlets leader is also the Mayor

Havering has a leader and a Mayor

The cost of the councillor allowance scheme in Tower Hamlets (45 councillors) £800,000

The cost of the councillor allowance scheme in Havering (54 councillors) £1,000,000

£200,000 a year more for Haverings councillors and they shut my library 2 days a week because they have no money.

Re: End all your financial woes.... Get rich quick....

Re: End all your financial woes.... Get rich quick....

Yes Rastaozzie it does contain many visitors from third world countries, it also seems to have imported third world levels of corruption.......

Lutfur Rahman springs to mind......

Re: End all your financial woes.... Get rich quick....

Rastaozzie
Indeed, but don't forget how vibrant and enriched the place has become because of all that diversity (insert sarcastic face here)

Re: End all your financial woes.... Get rich quick....

Well Tower Hamlets certainly is diverse and if you sit on the planning committee it has also become rich.....

Re: End all your financial woes.... Get rich quick....

Tip of the iceberg?

Re: End all your financial woes.... Get rich quick....

So whats Haverings excuse for third world corruption then Admin?
Tower Hamlets has 26 out of 45 councillors from non white backgrounds compared to Haverings 6 from 54.
They had Rahman but we've had our fair share of crooks and conmen down the years White Kelly and Tebbutt spring to mind and a fair few in the current crop.
No corruption is corruption no matter what face it has.

Re: End all your financial woes.... Get rich quick....

I don’t think any of them in Havering are on the Tower Hamlets scale, let’s face it, none of them are clever enough……

In 2014 Rosindell was slammed by Havering Conservative group leader Steven Kelly after he wrote to residents urging for them to vote Tory and apply for postal votes, Rosindell told voters to return their postal vote to Margaret Thatcher House, Western Road, Romford.

The move is against Electoral Commission guidelines which state the Electoral Registration Officer’s (ERO) address should be the address for the return of absent vote ­application forms.

Rosindell stressed: “All absent vote forms that are sent to our HQ or handed to our campaign team are handed the next day to the ERO at the town hall.

Yea, we believe you……. just face it, he got rumbled....

Cllr Kelly, who is also chairman of the Hornchurch and Upminster Conservatives, criticised the MP saying: “We say send it back to the ERO not us. I don’t think that’s the right thing to do.”

http://havering-forum.46540.x6.nabble.com/Romford-MP-Andrew-Rosindell-has-broken-Electoral-Commission-guidelines-td17485.html

Re: End all your financial woes.... Get rich quick....

Percy
Bribery is the way business is done in those countries. We call it foreign aid the result is the same.

Re: End all your financial woes.... Get rich quick....

dalek1
Foreign aid is just a joke.
Under saintly Bliars tenure overseas aid was spent promoting the merits of privatised water in areas where British utility firms such as Thames water were sent packing by governments through the inadequate services they offered and the most morally repugnant was companies like BAT handing out free fags to young kids in certain parts of Africa.
Ad to that the amount thats spent bribing bent dictators for arms deals to be used against their own people and there it is in a nutshell.
The day overseas aid is used to build schools hospitals or help create the infrastructure needed in third world will be the day hell freezes over.

Re: End all your financial woes.... Get rich quick....

Agreed.