Eight fly-tipping incidents a day in Havering

Eight fly-tipping incidents a day in Havering

Lorraine Moss
Eight fly-tipping incidents a day in Havering

Exclusive, by Ian Weinfass
Tuesday, March 12, 2013
2:00 PM

There are an average of eight incidents of illegal waste dumping in Havering every day, the Recorder can reveal.

Comments Email Print

Cllr Barry Tebbutt
In the last two years, Havering Council has had to deal with 5,887 incidents of fly-tipping in the borough.

Animal carcasses, parts of vehicles, fridges and black bags have all been dumped in public places – at a cost of thousands to the taxpayer.

A Freedom of Information request has revealed the extent of the cleaning-up that has been needed.

In 2011 3,015 recorded fly-tipping incidents took place, with 2,872 happening in 2012.

The most common things dumped have been household black bags and other household items.

The year before last, two animal carcasses were also left for the council to clear up.

Last week the council was again called to clear away the remains of a horse in a field in Noak Hill (see related link, right).

Cllr Barry Tebbutt, cabinet member for Streetcare, said: “Although our fly-tipping figures are quite low and decreasing, it’s still a criminal offence to dump waste, not to mention an eye-sore, and I’m not sure how many people realise this.

“Even if one black bag is dumped somewhere it shouldn’t be, it’s classed as a fly-tip, and this makes up a big part of what we deal with on a daily basis.”

He added: “There are dedicated facilities where waste can be taken, so there’s no excuse to dump it in a public space. People have to take responsibility, and if they don’t, they shouldn’t be surprised when we find and fine them.

“We’re working hard to keep our streets clean and even have a dedicated Cleaner Havering campaign to improve the borough, but we do need people to help us.”

The council will spend £3,600 on clearing up fly-tipping in the financial year 2012/13, having shelled out £5,100 on the problem in 2011/12.

Anyone with information about fly-tipping should contact the council’s Streetcare Enforcement team on 01708 432 563 or email waste_enforcement@havering.gov.uk.

Re: Eight fly-tipping incidents a day in Havering

Captain Blogger
Barry Tebbutt said:

"The council will spend £3,600 on clearing up fly-tipping in the financial year 2012/13, having shelled out £5,100 on the problem in 2011/12."

At least that was money well spent...

In the same period 2011 to 2013 the council also shelled out £84,000.00 in allowances for councillor Tebbutt and that was a complete waste of our money...

Re: Eight fly-tipping incidents a day in Havering

Percy.
Why did it need a freedom of information request don't the council publish full accounts if not why not.

Re: Eight fly-tipping incidents a day in Havering

confused of hornchurch

I don't think the council like the public to know too much about the council finances.

Our job is to put up, pay up and shut up.

Somebody obviously felt cheeky enough to risk asking where all the money goes.

I bet their card is marked from now on.

Re: Eight fly-tipping incidents a day in Havering

Romfordian
“Even if one black bag is dumped somewhere it shouldn’t be,
I agree with the quote but what i don't understand is if someone puts the wrong rubish in an orange bag ie not recycle why dose the general waste crew not take it away( Both lorrys general arive at the same time) i have seen this several times recently in my road, the bags generaly then end up on the green and kids kick them around and make a mess
Not a party activist but WAS a Labour supporter