EXCLUSIVE: Cllrs Fred Osborne, Ted Eden and Sandra Binion quit Romford Tory party, join UKIP

EXCLUSIVE: Cllrs Fred Osborne, Ted Eden and Sandra Binion quit Romford Tory party, join UKIP

Lorraine Moss

EXCLUSIVE: Cllrs Fred Osborne, Ted Eden and Sandra Binion quit Romford Tory party, join UKIP

 Cllr Fred Osborne is among three Tory councillors who will quit today and join UKIP Cllr Fred Osborne is among three Tory councillors who will quit today and join UKIP
Ramzy Alwakeel, Reporter
Monday, July 15, 2013
10:26 AM

Three Havering councillors will quit the Conservative party and join UKIP with immediate effect, the Recorder has learnt.

Comments Email Print
Cllr Fred Osborne (Brooklands) confirmed this morning he will hand in his resignation later today, and named Cllr Ted Eden (Pettits) and Cllr Sandra Binion (Havering Park) as two other councillors who will cross the floor.

Their exodus will swell UKIP’s numbers in Havering from one councillor to four. Cllr Lawrence Webb came to power in a by-election landslide in March, making him London’s first UKIP councillor.

Havering Council will now contain 29 Conservatives, 12 Residents’ Association, five Labour, four Independent Residents’ Group and four UKIP councillors.

The Conservatives’ control of the council is not affected by the move.

Cllr Osborne said: “I cannot be committed to the Conservatives and give my constituents the service that they deserve.

“Also, our leadership is very poor at the moment.

“I think UKIP is going to be the party that allows me to do the most for my constituents.”

He added he felt the party’s policies were in line with his own beliefs, adding: “I’m not 100 per cent against immigration, but it needs to be controlled.”

He said Cllr Eden and he had been considering the move to UKIP “for a while” and decided now was the right time to go public with the decision.

All three councillors were named in the deselection row that has been pulling the party apart in recent months.

As revealed in the Recorder a fortnight ago, Cllrs Eden and Osborne were not deselected but chose not to run for their seats, while Cllr Binion was denied candidature by the Romford Conservative Party’s approvals committee.

Cllr Lawrence Webb (Gooshays) confirmed the trio would be joining his party. They are expected to be seated together at this Wednesday’s full council meeting at Havering Town Hall.

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Cllrs Fred Osborne, Ted Eden and Sandra Binion quit Romford Tory party, join UKIP

Lorraine Moss
I wonder if any more will follow?

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Cllrs Fred Osborne, Ted Eden and Sandra Binion quit Romford Tory party, join UKIP

bellend
but these are still the same people

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Cllrs Fred Osborne, Ted Eden and Sandra Binion quit Romford Tory party, join UKIP

Good for them, I love the comment from Cllr Osborne; "“Also, our leadership is very poor at the moment".

And that's not the verdict of 'Angry' posters, it's an appraisal from a former Conservative councillor.

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Cllrs Fred Osborne, Ted Eden and Sandra Binion quit Romford Tory party, join UKIP

I always knew they were all right.

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Cllrs Fred Osborne, Ted Eden and Sandra Binion quit Romford Tory party, join UKIP

Barbara Matthews
This may well be the breach in the dam - in London and across the UK.  Three thoroughly nice people, good ward Councillors who performed well in the posts they held within the Council - a real gain for UKIP.

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Cllrs Fred Osborne, Ted Eden and Sandra Binion quit Romford Tory party, join UKIP

Bouncer
lol havering council is like some political soap opera lol

great news though

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Cllrs Fred Osborne, Ted Eden and Sandra Binion quit Romford Tory party, join UKIP

Too true, UKIP's gain is the Tory's loss.

Our very own 'dam-busters'.

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Cllrs Fred Osborne, Ted Eden and Sandra Binion quit Romford Tory party, join UKIP

Ein politischer Scheiße-Sturm braut.

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Cllrs Fred Osborne, Ted Eden and Sandra Binion quit Romford Tory party, join UKIP

Ian James
We are hearing there may be more:

If I've done my sums right (not my strong point) its 25 to 29, so come on only another 4 and all those smug  Tory  "persons" sitting on their cabinet posts and SRA's may not be so smug after all !

I bet the old Lord of Darkness with Damian & Ozzie are over the moon!

But come on Fred lets have a bye election in Brooklands at least !

Proud to have been deleted but still not defeated by the Romford Maffia !

The current leadership is very por at the moment?  Let's have a poll - NATIONALLY, LOCALLY or BOTH?!

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Cllrs Fred Osborne, Ted Eden and Sandra Binion quit Romford Tory party, join UKIP

Ian James
Haha Barbs's

So thats you and us,  were all  up for it, come on Mick lets have a byelection !

Proud to have been deleted but still not defeated by the Romford Maffia !

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Cllrs Fred Osborne, Ted Eden and Sandra Binion quit Romford Tory party, join UKIP

All 3 are decent Cllr's and did not deserve to be treated the way that they were.

I remember back in 2011 when I attended a planning meeting, it was the one for the entrance of Hylands school.  Cllr Fred Osborne was the one that suggested a site visit.

Back in 2012 it was reading an article about Cllr Ted Eden that actually started the whole Pinochet scandal.  The father whose son had been the victim of a violent assault praised Cllr Eden for all of his help and assistance in what had been a very difficult time for his family.  It was evident that Cllr Eden was doing a very good job and it did not make sense for him to be replaced with inexperienced Pinochet fan club member Osman Dervish.

Mark Stuart who used to post on here as Straightlegs always spoke very highly of Cllr Sandra Binion and I have met her several times at full council.  She is a lovely lady.  I attended a charity event with my work colleagues a few months ago and I was the first one there.  I felt a right idiot sitting there all on my own.  Sandra Binion was also at this event and despite all the things I write about the Tory's she actually came and sat with me until my colleagues arrived.

I would like to wish all three good luck for the future.

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Cllrs Fred Osborne, Ted Eden and Sandra Binion quit Romford Tory party, join UKIP

Both!

The Council has recently been given a lot of powers in relation to Health matters, but prior to that even though we had a Health Scrutiny Committee.  Ted was Chair at that time and, helped at all times by Fred, managed to get the Health hierarchy to the table and also were major players in organising pan north and east London working - insisting that there were no party politics.  So good were they at taking the Health hierarchy to task, that I understand the then CE of the hospital asked the Leader of the Council to remove Ted from his post.  The mood of our Council, cross party, was that should not happen and both Ted and Fred continued their valuable work despite it being an uphill struggle.  Sandra has the same metal, and will stand up for anyone continuing her work despite going through two bouts of cancer in quick succession - all three have earned respect across the chamber and, personally speaking, my respect for them remains firm.

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Cllrs Fred Osborne, Ted Eden and Sandra Binion quit Romford Tory party, join UKIP

bellend
ok i may have jumped in a bit quick with my post " but they are still the same people" i'm always suspicious of those that cross the floor, their ideology may be in question, but they are obviously as disillusioned with the currant state of affairs as the majority of the more informed are, but why did it take so long and a "push" before they jumped ship?

but if it takes this nasty break up it's got to be an improvement, the mafioso will not be as confident now.

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Cllrs Fred Osborne, Ted Eden and Sandra Binion quit Romford Tory party, join UKIP

Percy.
I would have had more respect had they resigned and then stood for their ward as UKIPPERS.
They will be the same as before as I said UKIP is just posh Tories.
Still it is a little light in the tunnel.

I don't like changing partners mid dance, but I think this is far more to do with national politics than local.  The local issue was probably the straw that broke the camel's back.

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Cllrs Fred Osborne, Ted Eden and Sandra Binion quit Romford Tory party, join UKIP

Percy.
Has Councilor Webb actually espoused any UKIP views on local politics has he had much impact locally.

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Cllrs Fred Osborne, Ted Eden and Sandra Binion quit Romford Tory party, join UKIP

Barbara Matthews
I really don't have a clue on his local work.  All been quiet thus far in Council, but it cannot be easy to be one on your own.
123