EAGLING TELLS LOCAL KIDS HOW DEMOCRACY WORKS

EAGLING TELLS LOCAL KIDS HOW DEMOCRACY WORKS

dalek1
Mayor of Havering meets pupils from Gidea Park Primary School
Monday 09 November 2015

​Pupils from Gidea Park Primary School were given a lesson in local democracy earlier today by the Mayor of Havering, when they visited him at the Town Hall.
​The Year 5 pupils were invited into the Council Chamber, where the Mayor, Councillor Brian Eagling, explained his role and answered questions on a range of topics, including the meaning of the borough crest and the history of the civic mace.

The visitors were told how the mace had evolved from a wooden club used to protect royal representatives in medieval times through to today’s ceremonial gilded silver work of art.

The Mayor went on to tell his guests about the history of the Mayoral Robes, and nine-year old Liam Martin was dressed in them. Cllr Eagling explained the details of the traditional ermine-trimmed garments, lace cuffs and bicorn hat.

Mrs Elaine Jones, Gidea Park’s Year 5 teacher, said:

“The children were very interested to hear about the role of the Mayor and the way the Council works. It’s a really important part of their Citizenship studies that they are introduced to the way we govern ourselves at an early age.”

The Mayor of Havering, Councillor Brian Eagling, said:

“It was a great pleasure to meet the pupils and staff of Gidea Park Primary. I was impressed with the quality of the children’s questions. It’s possible that we had a future Mayor of Havering visiting the Town Hall today.”

I can see a big Private Eye piss take coming on here.
How local demockracy (notice the spelling)works. Don't make us all laugh Eagling.

Re: EAGLING TELLS LOCAL KIDS HOW DEMOCRACY WORKS

confused of hornchurch

Did he tell them how to chop and change allegiances, and that power is the only thing that matters?

I can't think of anybody more suitable to instruct young minds.

Re: EAGLING TELLS LOCAL KIDS HOW DEMOCRACY WORKS

Re: EAGLING TELLS LOCAL KIDS HOW DEMOCRACY WORKS

Percy.
Do they hire out the Mayoral robes. I am going to a Dickensian weekend and I could use them as Fancy dress as the Beadle.

Re: EAGLING TELLS LOCAL KIDS HOW DEMOCRACY WORKS

Terry Matthews

Re: EAGLING TELLS LOCAL KIDS HOW DEMOCRACY WORKS

bellend
I known what he means when my lot come round they nick all the chairs

Re: EAGLING TELLS LOCAL KIDS HOW DEMOCRACY WORKS

Terry it came from Haverings website. No doubt big puffs in their mouthpiece the RR this Friday. Lovely comment from Eagling in your quote about doing it for his grandkids. Yeah right.

Re: EAGLING TELLS LOCAL KIDS HOW DEMOCRACY WORKS

Now here's a not very strange coincidence. A few weeks back his Rosserness was at that very school answering questions about the schools expansions due to the Tory administration closing five primary schools and hey presto what a pr exercise Eagling invites kids from the same school to visit the Main road fortress of doom. And another coincidence is that the school they handpicked was in the Tory stronghold of Gidea park. Would they have gone to a school in Rainham or Harold Hill? Very unlikely. Nice work Brian. Anything for a Tory stooge to look good.

dalek1
Just a point Terry does he ever turn up at the meet the leader (those that are held weekdays and give the likes of me working a limited opportunity to get their views across) meetings held throughout the borough? If so it would be a perfect opportunity for any constituent or Havering citizen to nail him and get him publicly to justify why he and his Quislings made the decision to flip sides or make a pact with our Tory friends. Whats the betting he'd run a mile. I'm sure he got more than 30 pieces of silver.

Re: EAGLING TELLS LOCAL KIDS HOW DEMOCRACY WORKS

confused of hornchurch

Here we go Mr Eagling, another fine example of how democracy works in Havering.
The HAC has decided that democracy is a one way street in Havering.

Protesters’ anger as parking pulled from Havering Council agenda

15:05 12 November 2015

Sam Gelder  (Romford Recorder)

Leader Cllr Roger Ramsey

Protesters will have to wait for their chance to speak on controversial new parking plans after the matter was pulled from a council agenda.

Related articles
Parking charges brought in at Hornchurch church

The Highways Advisory Committee (HAC) was due to discuss responses to the consultation on plans to introduce parking charges in parks and open spaces on Tuesday night.

Out of 47 people to respond to the consultation, 39 opposed the plans and some were set to turn up and have their say.

Opposition councillors also wanted to discover how the council would make a profit from the machines, which are believed to cost £5,000 to install.

The council has apologised to residents but said it realised there was no “constitutional provision” for it to go to HAC and the public will be able to have their say at a later date.

Protester Alan Taylor, verger at St Andrew’s Church, Hornchurch, said: “This is very underhand. They just want to get it rubber stamped.”

Committee member Cllr Barry Mugglestone believes the administration was undermining the committee. He wanted to question how the scheme will make a profit.

At 20p for three hours, only six of the 23 proposed areas for parking machines are expected to bring in more than the cost of installing them.

The initial plan to save £50,000 this year has also now reduced to £26,000 because of the delay in getting it approved, with the difference taken form the parks budget.

And next year’s target of £200,000 will not be met either – £103,000 is the new figure the council is aiming for.

On top of that, the one off cost of introducing the charges is £215,000 and will come from the parks capital budget.

Cllr Roger Ramsey, Havering leader, said: “The consultation was in relation to traffic management orders. We said it would go to HAC but following last week’s cabinet meeting it became clear that because the scheme does not relate to highways, there was no constitutional provision for it to do so.

“The consultation comments will be considered by lead member Cllr Benham. Any decision can be called in for public scrutiny by the overview and scrutiny board.

“I understand residents will be frustrated by this and I’m very sorry for any confusion.”

Re: EAGLING TELLS LOCAL KIDS HOW DEMOCRACY WORKS

Terry Matthews

Re: EAGLING TELLS LOCAL KIDS HOW DEMOCRACY WORKS

Percy
It will be no use waiting until 2018 you need to get your new candidates out now and take back the newsletter and organise meetings etc.If your new people just stand against the old rats the best you can expect is to split the vote and let the Tories or Labour in.

Re: EAGLING TELLS LOCAL KIDS HOW DEMOCRACY WORKS

dalek1
Perc its up to each RA to deselect these councillors and put up genuine candidates who will not make alliances with the shitface Tory's. Eagling and co can stand for re-election as independents but if factual information is circulated to their voters via newsletters and so on then if done right Eagling Donald Ower and co will be confined to the political dustbin of Havering history.

Yes however at least some of the local residents must be OK with the Rats as the newsletter gets distributed the funds from the adverts roll in and a familiar name is worth 100 adverts.If there is no information from an alternative residents association and a new candidate out there now like Lorraine helping.The new names will stand no chance and have no organisation.

If all you in the party get together and call yourselves the independent residents association you can then put up candidates in Cranham,upminster etc under that name .The rats call themselves the east havering residents association so are stuck with that you have the original name.

Re: EAGLING TELLS LOCAL KIDS HOW DEMOCRACY WORKS

Terry Matthews

Re: EAGLING TELLS LOCAL KIDS HOW DEMOCRACY WORKS

dalek1
Terry Benham is responsible as you know for streetcare which includes parking. I guess this is why he's putting the proposal wrong as it is for car park charges in public recreation areas. Hang on its another cash cow or so they think so why would Wallace interfere? Just one thing if these ticket machines are costing 5 grand a pop to install has any one thought about maintenance costs ie emptying the machines breakdowns etc? Cash cow more a cash loss.

Re: EAGLING TELLS LOCAL KIDS HOW DEMOCRACY WORKS

Barbara Matthews
That was why it was going to go before the Highways Advisory Committee, but at the very last minute it was taken off the agenda as it was deemed to be a Parks issue - which is the responsibility of Melvin Wallace.  A superb example of left hand v right hand!!!
12