Does The Charity "Hope4Havering" = No Hope For Havering Residents?

Does The Charity "Hope4Havering" = No Hope For Havering Residents?

I am a member of the Harold Hill Community Facebook page.  I am sure that many people are aware that there has been a substantial increase in ordinary homes being converted into HMO's.  HMO stands for House of Multiple Occupancy or bedsits.

The council have taken action after residents presented a petition and a motion was put forward at full council for article 4 to be introduced in some parts of Havering.  This was very good news as it will mean that once it has been enforced all such conversions will have to have planning permission.  Unfortunately, this will not be happening until about a years time.  In the meantime the residents of Harold Hill are going through hell as these HMO's are popping up all over the place.  They face daily disturbance while the work is being carried out.  A lot of the work does not meet building regulations and work is carried out day and night.  Just when the work has finally finished they are then having to put up with anti social behavior from their new neighbors.  This is not just noise disturbance, the police have to be called out on a regular basis.

There was an incident today that caused a great deal of distress to an elderly lady who has the misfortune of living next door to one of these properties.  Please see below which has been cut and pasted from the Facebook page;

Just want to say a massive thanks to Philip Hyde for coming to the rescue today of my terrified 75 year old neighbour. One of the Hmo "visitors" (who managed to have a key) was trying to use the key to get into her house! We were out but philip had given her his number for emergencies. Philip had been to see her by the time we got back but we also popped in. She is very tearful and has really had enough now. Philip has found out some more info about next door which he will update later.

Philip Hyde
1 hr
UPDATE: As Lorna has stated, this is 75 year old lady living on her own. I visited her following her tearful call to me this morning. She is petrified! I then knocked on the HMO (number 52) and challenged the resident who answered. The penny dropped when she told me who had placed all the residents in this property. The villan is Hope4Havering. This is a religious group who rehouse homeless people. Clearly the residents in this dwelling have social, mental and dependancy issues.
The reason this is important is that the first HMO I got involved with in May last year, was in Morris Rd. The residents were out of control and had many visits by the police. Much the same as Sevenoaks. It turned out that Hope4Havering were responsible for all the residents. I tried on many occasions to meet with the organisation but they constantly refused. They praise thereself for relieving the suffering of many troubled souls in our community. However, all they seem to be doing is plonking these people in Harold Hill then forgetting about them. There is clearly no monitoring of these people, they just let them get on with it. They have absolutely no care for the poor residents who end up suffering a miserable existence. If they read this and want to refute this account, please contact me. If residents want to look up the organisation and get in touch with all these do gooders, so be it. If the Police want to help, perhaps they could enforce the drug laws a little more stringently.
I have written to all senior officers involved together with the leaders of the various political groups. Don't hold your breath. I have told the council that their inaction is likely to lead to people taking the situation into their own hands. And who could blame them!

I am sure that this charity does do some fantastic work helping homeless people in Havering.  However, it is not very christian if the help that they give to some people is to the detriment of others.  I cannot imagine how scared this elderly lady must feel.  Also this appalling behavior is disturbing the quality of lives of all of the surrounding residents and it is totally unacceptable.

I have tweeted a link to this post to Hope4Havering so I am sure that they will read this post.  I would like to ask then what action that they are going to be taking to resolve this problem??

Re: Does The Charity "Hope4Havering" = No Hope For Havering Residents?

Percy.
Gosh it has taken me 50 years to find I was bought up in an HMO.In Poplar we had 17 in a war damaged 3 bedroom rented house with outside toilet.That was my parents Grand parents Four children in my family My aunts uncles and their children plus the odd Nephew or Niece who had been thrown out of their family home.When we were moved out to Barking Ripple road we had an inside toilet but no bath and only hot water from a big copper kettle heated in the scullery.Even then it was my Grand parents, My parents when my dad was back from the Navy and My uncle ,Aunt and his Two Children only 12 of us sheer luxury except My Grand father was crippled from the First World war and needed the best seats and more room.I wonder if our neighbours were scared of us I doubt it as they were as crowded as us.No conversions only two or three bedrooms and we had never heard of an HMO it was just home.Things change very little only the names change.

Re: Does The Charity "Hope4Havering" = No Hope For Havering Residents?

Lorraine Moss
Hi Percy my mum was the same.  She lived in a 2 bedroom terrace in Beckton with her mum, nan and grandad, aunt and uncle, 3 brothers and one sister.  However, it is only classed as a HMO if the people are not related.

Re: Does The Charity "Hope4Havering" = No Hope For Havering Residents?

Percy.
Did she live in Savage gardens or one of the Prefabs?When you say no hope there is always hope we need to pressure the companies to build housing for rent If Amazon want to trade without taxation why not let them so long as they Build a Thousand houses or flats.I would offer a deal to all the big companies Like Rowntrees did 200 years ago.Plus it is time to build new towns again.

Re: Does The Charity "Hope4Havering" = No Hope For Havering Residents?

Lorraine Moss
Hi Percy, she lived in Brock Road.  It was a victorian house.

Percy the no hope was a play on words with regard to the problems that the tenants that this charity are putting into the HMO's are causing.

Re: Does The Charity "Hope4Havering" = No Hope For Havering Residents?

Percy.
Yes however if the government are building no homes to rent even through the councils and no one else large enough to build a million homes who is going to step up ?It looks like the pinko love all churches are doing it and those Pentecostal black churches are doing it in many places and finding as many places as they can even old office blocks and factories.Wait until fifty move into an old factory on Farringdon avenue.

Re: Does The Charity "Hope4Havering" = No Hope For Havering Residents?

Lorraine Moss
No problem with charities helping people find homes.  The issue is the anti social and intimidating behavior.

Re: Does The Charity "Hope4Havering" = No Hope For Havering Residents?

Percy.
These people are under stress of all sorts and are most likely as outcast as it is possible to get.No one else is helping them who will step up instead of demonising them.

Re: Does The Charity "Hope4Havering" = No Hope For Havering Residents?

Lorraine Moss
Percy, I am more concerned about the elderly lady who is being terrified by their behavior.  Don't get me wrong it is fairly evident that these people have problems.  Perhaps the charity that housed them need to give them more support.

Re: Does The Charity "Hope4Havering" = No Hope For Havering Residents?

Percy.
Is the lady in Council accommodation? If so perhaps she can be moved to one of those nice Bungalows behind Adelphi court.If she owns the house maybe the Church can do a deal and buy her house and find her some where else.It looks like several are on the case and she will soon be sorted.

Re: Does The Charity "Hope4Havering" = No Hope For Havering Residents?

Steve L
Pardon Percy? You are advocating that because she is suffering Anti-social behaviour at the hands of theses selfish individuals, SHE should move?
What is wrong with you?????

Re: Does The Charity "Hope4Havering" = No Hope For Havering Residents?

Percy.
Why not she might prefer a more manageable place.With more people of her generation.Some one should ask.

Re: Does The Charity "Hope4Havering" = No Hope For Havering Residents?

Lorraine Moss
Percy, if this lady wanted to move somewhere else it should be because it would suit her.  No way should she feel that she has to due to the unreasonable conduct of others.

I have some good news, someone from Hope4Havering has agreed to meet Philip Hyde so hopefully these issues will be dealt with and this lady and the other residents will finally get some peace.

Re: Does The Charity "Hope4Havering" = No Hope For Havering Residents?

Percy my wife, through her employment, came into contact with an elderly resident that was forcibly removed from his home.

3 weeks after the event he died.

Have you been assessed yourself Percy? Maybe somebody should.

Re: Does The Charity "Hope4Havering" = No Hope For Havering Residents?

Percy.
I know of several elderly people would love to downsize but without help have to struggle on in their large homes.Once the trust has gone it is never easy if ever to feel comfortable in a home that has been attacked.Again I know people who have been burgled and had to move because of it.I imagine this lady lives alone in a two or three bedroom house possibly only using the living room and Kitchen never venturing upstairs again I can show you people like that.You assume which as you know makes an ass of you and me.The problem is the lack of suitable small properties which leads to families having no where to go and elderly folk on their own with no way of coping.Sometimes care in the community is a cop out for real care.

Re: Does The Charity "Hope4Havering" = No Hope For Havering Residents?

confused of hornchurch

Is this lady living in council accommodation or is she a home owner?

I can understand why she would not want her lifestyle turned upside down by an HMO next door to her, as charitable as this organisation may be.

Yes, a lot of us had to suffer poor quality housing after the war but that was down to Hitler bombing most of London. Sixty years on from the 2nd world war it would appear that we have not learned the lessons of planning control versus unsuitable overcrowded accommodation.

Re: Does The Charity "Hope4Havering" = No Hope For Havering Residents?

Planning of havering
Hope4havering have for a number of years attempted to pull fast ones over havering council including some dubious planning applications all under the heading of helping the homeless. Some time ago this included picking homeless from out of brough inflating the headline figure of homeless in Havering as for the elderly person involved why should they have to move to accomadate the poor behaviour of her nuisance neighbours

Re: Does The Charity "Hope4Havering" = No Hope For Havering Residents?

Steve L
Do you live alone Percy? With language like that I would guess you do. And the only one making assumptions here is YOU, therefore I guess you are the 'ass'.
We happen to KNOW the lady doesn't want to move.
You are a sad, lone voice on this thread. I would go further, but I pity you and your kind.

Re: Does The Charity "Hope4Havering" = No Hope For Havering Residents?

Does Hope for Havering own these properties and are all the 'charitable' tenants paying rent or receiving some kind of housing benefit?

Will these HMO's always be a charitable refuge or will they one day be sold off to provide a profit for the owners?

I'm still amazed at the ease with which ordinary housing stock can be converted into HMO's, especially considering fire risks and sanitary regulations. I suppose they are preferable to living rough on the streets but I can't see them as a long term solution.

If there is no sensible planning for these properties they will offer poor and unsafe accommodation for the tenants and a nuisance to other nearby residents.
123