Demonstration Against Tri Borough Policing

Demonstration Against Tri Borough Policing

Lorraine Moss

WITHDRAW FROM THE
TRI-BOROUGH MERGER!

A demo calling outside our Town Hall calling upon the Council to withdraw from the Tri-Borough Merger took place last night. It was organised by Trev Robinson from the Facebook page “Havering Safe Streets” and Lorraine Moss and Jan Sargent from the newly formed Harold Hill Independent Party.

Organisers were reacting to the failure of the new set-up to allow police officers in the Response Teams to reach the scene of significant and emergency incidents in an acceptable time.

Residents turned up in numbers to protest the news that these Police response times were the worst in London, and called upon the Leader of the Council, who initially supported the merger, to withdraw Havering from the pilot Tri-borough merger (TBM) of three Police forces (Havering, Barking & Dagenham and Redbridge).

SERIOUS MATTER

Lorraine Moss (Officer of the new Harold Hill Independent Party) said "I was delighted with the turn-out from residents at short notice to complain about a very serious matter, namely the safety and security of residents of Havering". She added "The Leader of the Council (Roger Ramsey) got us into this mess by agreeing to be a part of this pilot and he needs to get us out of it!".

South Hornchurch Councillor Graham Williamson joined the protestors and said "The Independent Residents Group opposed this merger from the very beginning because we knew that covering the much wider area of three boroughs would hinder rather than help our Police. Sadly we have been proved right. We say enough is enough, we must withdraw!"

In response to a later IRG question at the full Council meeting the Leader of the Council admitted that the whole merger needed to be looked at again as the present failures, including the loss of Dedicated Ward Officers (DWO's) was serious.

Notes:

The merger took place as a cost-cutting exercise, initiated by the Mayor, as they hoped to streamline staff. Unfortunately, the coverage of a much wider area has stretched Police resources beyond their capacity and hence the failures. It has come at a particularly bad time with the spike in moped crime which may have become more focused in the new East Basic Command Unit (BCU) area precisely due to the poor Police responses.

Rather than abandoning a dysfunctional structure (presumably because the Mayor/MET are loath to admit failure) the Police are attempting to hold the line by a) reverting the communication structure back to the three local boroughs (still however using the same cross-borough Response Teams),

b) reduce four Havering wards Safe Neighbourhood Teams (SNT's) by one 'Dedicated' ward officer (DWO's) each.

c) calling upon DWO's to operate outside their wards, as and when, which means a ward could be left partially or totally uncovered at any one time. Havering was that DWO's would be ring-fenced and this is being broken.

Re: Demonstration Against Tri Borough Policing

Response times fall as police admit mistakes.....

CLICK HERE

Re: Demonstration Against Tri Borough Policing

confused of hornchurch

A fiasco then, and a fiasco in the future as 'Havering experiment' goes London wide.

Barking and Dagenham, Havering and Redbridge’s trial police merger to become permanent
PUBLISHED: 13:10 12 February 2018 | UPDATED: 13:45 12 February 2018
Tom Horton

The Met is combing its borough forces to save money. Picture: Ken Mears
Following an initial trial period Barking and Dagenham, Havering and Redbridge’s police merger is to be made permanent.

Barking and Dagenham was one of five guinea pig boroughs the Met tested mergers out on - but the system is now going to be rolled out across London as part of a cost-cutting initiative.
The pilot had mixed results. In the tri-borough merger the number of police complaints soared once the pilot began.
From November 2016, the month before the merger, to December, the first month of the trial, the number of complaints trebled.
Response times were hit badly by the trial, with the average wait being almost 40 minutes in June.
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan branded the failings “unacceptable” and response times eventually recovered.
Scotland Yard said they have worked to “identify the lessons learnt” to help ensure a smooth London-wide rollout, which is expected to take a year.
The Met needs to deliver £325 million of cuts by 2022, with officer numbers expected to fall to 30,000 by April having been at around 32,000 under former mayor of London Boris Johnson.
London will now be divided into 12 Basic Command Units (BCUs) as opposed to the previous system which separated the force into units along London’s borough boundaries.
Savings will be made by boroughs sharing buildings, resources and staff.
The Met faces a “significant financial challenge, alongside increasing demand,” according to Scotland Yard.
“We need to plan for a future with less and become more resilient so we can continue to meet our financial and operational challenges,” they said.
As well as cutting overall costs, the merger will also free up more money for neighbourhood policing, safeguarding and emergency response.
Deputy assistant commissioner Mark Simmons said: “Local policing is at the heart of what the Met does every day and we will improve it further by offering a service that is more personal and responsive to London’s needs.
“Our new structure will give us the resilience and consistency we need across the whole of London, so we can continue to respond to large scale incidents and meet the financial and operational challenges we are facing.”

Re: Demonstration Against Tri Borough Policing

Nice one admin but beware our useless borough commander is rather a sensitive soul.
He doesn't like criticism.
Perhaps if he did his job he wouldn't get any!

Re: Demonstration Against Tri Borough Policing

fred
Hope he don’t browse this forum then,most of the Met heirachy are like social workers in uniform now,what this City needs right now is some proper old fashioned policing.