Creating a stink.

confused of hornchurch

Thames Water confirms investigation into pensioners’ six months of poo misery in Harold Wood
PUBLISHED: 07:00 09 November 2017
Matthew Clemenson   Romford Recorder

The sewage drain overflowing into the car park at Beehive Court
Long-suffering residents of retirement housing plagued by six months of disgusting sewage leaks have been informed a water company is now investigating the problem.

Last week, the Recorder revealed that residents at Beehive Court in Gubbins Lane, Harold Wood, had been forced to live with rivers of poo and used toilet roll bubbling out of a nearby sewer drain.
At the time, a Havering Council spokesman confirmed the authority was investigating the problem.
But over the weekend, the council’s sheltered scheme officer Nadine Quinlan wrote to Beehive Court residents to inform them the responsibility for dealing with the repeated sewage spillages actually lies with Thames Water.
The letter, seen by the Recorder, reads: “On behalf of the council please accept my sincerest apologies for the distress and inconvenience that this matter has caused you.
“Following a recent CCTV investigation into the sewer drain we have identified a defect in drains that are the responsibility of Thames Water.
“Our contractors have shared this information with Thames Water, who I understand have accepted responsibility for the defect and will be taking appropriate action.”
The letter goes on to give residents details about how best to contact Thames Water to report any further problems.
A Thames Water spokesman confirmed the company was now investigating the issues at the site.
He said: “This flooding is a prime example of what happens when people flush non-flushable items down the toilet such as wet wipes and sanitary towels – it blocks up the sewer and causes sewage to flood out.
“We’ve visited this car park eight times in the last six months to remove a sewer blockage and to clear up a spill, and the latest blockage has caused defects in the sewer pipe which we are digging down to repair this week.
“We’d like to remind people of our Bin It – Don’t Block It campaign and to only flush the three p’s – pee, poo and toilet paper.
“We’ll be visiting residents following the repair to offer advice on how to stop incidents such as these from happening again.”

Re: Creating a stink.

Ho-Hum
“This flooding is a prime example of what happens when people flush non-flushable items down the toilet such as wet wipes and sanitary towels – it blocks up the sewer and causes sewage to flood out.

The drainage system is usually shared by a few properties.  I experienced this one time.  Living  amongst pensioners there was young women with children and the joint clearaway pipes were always getting blocked  with baby and female non-flushables.

Ya gotta laugh, this mother swore blind it wasn't her.

Re: Creating a stink.

dalek1
It never ceases to amaze me how tephlon this council claim to be.
Its the responsibility of Thames Water so we can do the usual swerve.
Ok it may be.
But who owns these flats?
And does that mean if there's subsidence in the car park its nothing to do with them.
Likewise if there's a power cut a gas leak internal flooding?
No they are the landlord and its their responsibility to call out the various contractors and utilities companies if there is a communal issue!
Any comments from the cabinet member for housing D White?

Re: Creating a stink.

confused of hornchurch

No!