Councillors Special Responsibility Allowance

Councillors Special Responsibility Allowance

Lorraine Moss
Residents’ Association propose saving £134k by cutting councillors’ allowances - but motion is defeated

Ramzy Alwakeel, Reporter
Thursday, February 28, 2013
2:45 PM

Councillors’ paycheques were the hot topic as members debated the Residents’ Association’s alternative 2013/14 budget last night.

Comments Email Print
The opposition put forward an amendment to the administration’s proposed finance paper that recommended shaving £134,000 off members’ allowances and diverting more money into free parking at Christmas and support for voluntary groups.

Cllr Lesley Kelly (Conservative, Harold Wood) branded the RA proposals “tired and lacklustre” and criticised the fact they represented a “£200,000 comment on a budget of millions”.

But RA councillor Ray Morgon retorted with: “We are tinkering at the margins, but as cabinet members you are paid very generous allowances – so we would expect you to spend considerably more time on any budget proposals than any of the opposition groups.”

Cllr Paul Rochford (Conservative, Emerson Park) made fun of the RA’s “slick” presentation slides, saying: “Be honest with yourself. Don’t just have some slick slides. Join us in commending the strength of our budget.

“The lack of substance in the amendment shows that everybody here believes in the main that we are doing a good job.”

The alternative budget, which would have seen Havering councillors’ allowances reduced from the fifth-highest in London to the ninth-highest, was defeated by 29 votes to 15.

Re: Councillors Special Responsibility Allowance

Ho-Hum
Good on the RAs but greed is always hard to defeat.

Re: Councillors Special Responsibility Allowance

Percy.
Just too many councillors we only need half of them.

Re: Councillors Special Responsibility Allowance

GAZZER
Good grief percy- if half of them got the sack just think of the devastating effect it would have on Havering..

errrrrmmmm-the sale of Brown envelopes would plummet-not another Tesco's-McDonald's or monolithic housing estate will be built- Illegal domestic Planning flouters would stay illegal-our green belt would recover.

I would feel far better-collectively we would all feel far better. I might start training again and win my grandson sports day egg n spoon race.

Matron might have a shave-uncle fester might have a bath...shit Percy you've got me going now mate-the future would be a brighter fun place.

Re: Councillors Special Responsibility Allowance

Romfordian
Cllr Lesley Kelly (Conservative, Harold Wood) branded the RA proposals “tired and lacklustre” and criticised the fact they represented a “£200,000 comment on a budget of millions”.

Yes Mrs Greedy that is one Million over a five year period and that is spread between 10 Part time representatives

It is not a full time ocupation we have Paid staff to run the Borough who no doubt aplied for the positions and hopefully got the jobs on merrit Not because they were part of the Romord Tory party
Not a party activist but WAS a Labour supporter

Re: Councillors Special Responsibility Allowance

Percy.
That is what Councillor Tucker tried to say the loss of one third of the councillors would save "£1million over four years but of course the Turkeys would not vote for christmas.

Pericles Yes that would then mean a 2 million pound saveing with the reduction of the SRAs
Not a party activist but WAS a Labour supporter

Re: Councillors Special Responsibility Allowance

AngelDelight
One word:
Greedy!!!!!

Re: Councillors Special Responsibility Allowance

Lorraine Moss
They do not understand how the public feel about these allowances that we pay them !

Re: Councillors Special Responsibility Allowance

Two words "Greedy-Troughers" is troughers a word??

Re: Councillors Special Responsibility Allowance

Independent man
yes I agree with the RA greedy Tories,vote for the Independent parties 2014
Drop that Drip Double Dip Dave

Correction Lorraine  (allowances that we pay them) should be They award themselves
Not a party activist but WAS a Labour supporter

Re: Councillors Special Responsibility Allowance

Ho-Hum
Award themselves with our money is correct.