Community Transport Services

Percy
You may know that throughout the country 1800 community service groups provide car and mini bus transport for all sorts of Groups.Elderly people taken shopping or to Hospitals.Children taken to schools people from care homes taken out for the day or simply in rural areas providing transport from villages where no bus goes.There are 600 of these in the south working with councils and Hospitals.
This is all at risk and may be weeks from ceasing.because the community services are run by volunteers for expenses or a token like a Christmas party etc they can charge a lot less than a company paying wages.THe volunteer drivers are also able to drive the mini buses on their car licence if they passed the test before 1997.
A company has taken a case to the high court arguing this was unfair competition as their costs were higher and had to pay wages they could never win a tender from the NHS or Councils.This has been provisionally agreed by the court pending a full trial in the high court.In the mean time the NHS and councils can not offer new contracts for these services.However these transport charities have no funds and can not wait for a case to go through court.Some had contracts which are allowed to continue until they run out but maybe a third 600 will go broke within 3 to 4 weeks and cease forever.the others will die off over the next year.I get messages from several of these groups including Brentwood and Basildon both of whom will be affected badly to the point of ceasing.

Re: Community Transport Services

Re: Community Transport Services

dalek1
Signed.
I can remember back in the 1980's and early 1990's my step father used to be a volunteer car ambulance driver for Homerton Hospital.
He did get a mileage allowance and help with his car maintenance so it helped him as a retired person keep his car on the road and he had to undergo a CRB check.
Then about 1992 he along with other volunteer drivers were called into a meeting and told they were no longer needed as a contract for patient transportation had been handed to a local minicab firm!
Did they have have drivers used to patient transportation or CRB checked er no.
Well goes to show the big brown ones aren't restricted to our wonderful administration.

Yes the problem now is however councils are not signing contracts with local transport services and those dependent on them only have a few weeks money left.Its due to a misinterpretation by the DVLA and councils think they can not sign up to community service teams.400 will be gone within weeks the others as their contracts run out.

Re: Community Transport Services

Percy
 To inform you of the position CT has been put in by a misinterpretation of the derogation of 2009 EU legislation into UK law governing Section 19 Minibus operation, specifically Local Authority contract working. This is Due to a legal challenge by a "Commercial Company" to the DVSA (Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency) against a Section 19 "Not for Profit" operator similar to us, where they claim this work is commercial and so Section 19 operators are working outside of the Law.

Whilst this is ongoing, the DfT (Department for Transport) have entered the fray, by releasing a letter suggesting that Section 19 operations are ineligible to enter into Local Authority contract working. To now be considered would require a complete change in operation involving different legislation, licenses, CPC's, vehicle standards and driver qualifications, all of which is very time consuming and costly

Re: Community Transport Services

bellend
point of order perky, if that is referring to paragraph 3 subsection A/5 I think you will find it was circumvented in the October 9th meeting with the agreement of the board of adjudication and moved to paragraph 6 stating the DaVSA working with L/A require this operation only to be implemented between the hours of daylight or at night thus eliminating the inefficient and supererogatory nature of functionary collaborants.

I think you will find that was not ratified in paragraph 15 sub section 7 consideration of allied propositions march 14 paragraph 12.

Re: Community Transport Services

bellend
I sit corrected

Re: Community Transport Services

confused of hornchurch

It may have been a printing error.

Re: Community Transport Services

bellend
not if the DaVSA in collaboration with the DfT were involved in the second draft as per the minutes October 9th as this new model now offers functional and organisational processing combined with administrated projections therefore we now offer a forward-looking ambient monitored capability so delimiting the deconstruction of management concepts.

Well that's not the way I understand it. Did you read paragraph five sub-section c on page 27 or have I got confused?

Re: Community Transport Services

bellend
I don't believe you have a blue sky approach to facilitating transitional options

Re: Community Transport Services

confused of hornchurch

You're not the first person to suggest that.

Maybe I should learn to embrace change?

No blue sky thinking here its heads up only.

As of the next few weeks those using disabled clubs or facilities will no longer have transport to or from them that is Arthritus care, MS, partially sighted, Muscular dystrophy, Autistic Downes syndrome, Diabetes care plus many others and days out for the elderly .Havering community transport due to getting no council contracts will gradually cease trading honouring its commitments until the end of November after that disabled access will either cease or cost a lot of money volunteer drivers will not be available.

So everybody is up the creek without a paddle?

Re: Community Transport Services

confused of hornchurch

What happened to Cameron's 'bigger society'?

Re: Community Transport Services

MR H
Simple, print more money and the problems are solved.😆
It's not the SIZE of the dog in the fight.............it's the size of the FIGHT in the dog that counts.

Yes the service is winding down the clubs will have to look elsewhere at greater cost or close.

Re: Community Transport Services

confused of hornchurch

If life was a thing that money could buy, the rich would live and the poor would die.
12