CLEAN FOR THE QUEEN

dalek1
Are you keen to clean for the Queen?
Thursday 21 January 2016

​People living in Havering are being asked to help make the borough look majestic in time for Her Majesty’s 90th birthday celebrations, by suggesting which local areas could do with tidying up.
Havering Council is backing the Clean for the Queen Campaign, a nationwide community clean-up operation that is taking place from Friday 4 March to Sunday 6 March.

Individuals, groups, schools, companies and sports teams are all being encouraged to get involved with the litter pick. Gloves and equipment will be provided and those wishing to take on supervisory roles will be given basic training at the new volunteer centre at Community Reach House, which opens next week in High Street, Romford.

To register an interest in volunteering or to suggest an area that would benefit from a clean-up visit www.havering.gov.uk/cleanups. If the land is privately owned, the council will seek permission from the owners for volunteers to work there.

Councillor Robert Benham, Cabinet Member for Environment, said: “This is a fantastic opportunity for people to get involved with improving their local community and we look forward to hearing their suggestions as to which areas need tidying up. We hope Havering residents will turn out in force to get behind this clean-up campaign and make the borough look fit for a Queen.”

The Queen turns 90 on Thursday 21 April and celebrates her official birthday on Saturday 11 June.

Well any suggestions folks to help old Humpty Dumpty in his quest for a cleaner borough?
Here's a few.
1 Cover the Town Hall with a large escape proof tarpaulin on the next cabinet meeting.
2 Clear up the environmental health hazard in Harrow Lodge park (I can just see Melvin Wallace in wellies  knee deep in shit)
3 Sort the jungle of a supposed nature walkway running between Jutsom's recreation ground and the railway sidings.
4 Encourage people to recycle their green waste in larger quantities by not charging for green waste collection.
Any others please post.
Queens 90th birthday!
Didn't know The Dame was that old.

Re: CLEAN FOR THE QUEEN

Phil Wailing
Can't we just clean the place for ourselves? What the hell has her 90th birthday got to do with anything.

Re: CLEAN FOR THE QUEEN

Percy
they could come to the alleys at the back of us full of rubbish.I take some over the dump in my trailer but it soon fills again.What with that and at least five living in campervans within 400 yards of me.

Re: CLEAN FOR THE QUEEN

Well said Phil

Re: CLEAN FOR THE QUEEN

Just another point.
If the councils so cash strapped where's all the money coming from for gloves equipment and volunteer training.
Me thinks arch monarchist Rosser might be behind this scam oh sorry scheme.

Re: CLEAN FOR THE QUEEN

Royston Eldridge

Re: CLEAN FOR THE QUEEN

confused of hornchurch

Would she clean for me?

Let her see the conditions her subjects live in.

Re: CLEAN FOR THE QUEEN

Barbara Matthews
I do not have a problem marking our Queen's birthday, but personally I don't think this method is very appropriate.  Will these volunteer groups continue their clean up work or will we be looking at the same eyesores come her 91st birthday?  I won't tell you who I thought was being referred to when I saw the headline!!!

Re: CLEAN FOR THE QUEEN

Royston Eldridge

Re: CLEAN FOR THE QUEEN

Of course we meant you Babs.
Make sure you have your tiara ready for the day if not get Terry to pop down the 99p shop and get you one.

Re: CLEAN FOR THE QUEEN

Barbara Matthews
Not me Dalek!  my thoughts wandered to the darkest regions of Romford!  Please, please, keep my better half out of the pound shops if he's searching for a surprise for me otherwise he'll end up in A&E.

Re: CLEAN FOR THE QUEEN

dalek1
Oh I get your drift now Babs. Queen, (or Queens) darkest regions of Romford etc say no more. Anyhow nothing wrong with 99p or pound shops. When little Miss D1 had a skin problem the gp recommended we use J and J baby shampoo and body wash. Went in Mothercare price £4. On a trip to Romford visit 99p shop exactly the same thing price 99p. I didn't tell Mrs D1 as she would have hit the ceiling. When we're a bit short of cash guess where she goes now yes pound shops. I'd dread to think what would happen if you and Mrs D1 went on a shopping trip together. Tel and I would have to take out second mortgages to pay for it.

Re: CLEAN FOR THE QUEEN

Barbara Matthews
I agree, we use them too.  It really does pay to shop around, if you've the time.  It is much easier now as prices and offers can be checked out on line.  Happy Shopping xx

Re: CLEAN FOR THE QUEEN

dalek1
Over the weekend Babs I do some of the shopping in the main buying the essentials such as bread ham for Little Miss D1's sandwiches and always shop for the best prices. Do wander around Romford a few times to make sure I'm not missing out on anything. Do some late night bargain shopping as well in Tesco's and Sainsbury's. Got two legs of lamb a while back for four quid each. Mrs D1 was delighted. Also buy on date fruit and veg for next to nothing and put it straight on the compost heap. Try not to waste a thing.

Re: CLEAN FOR THE QUEEN

Barbara Matthews
If you can get your timing right, then buying on the date fruit and veg cheaper is a good idea particularly if you can use it immediately to make meals to freeze down or to blanch and freeze.

Re: CLEAN FOR THE QUEEN

bellend
ain't we got enough queens in havering?

Re: CLEAN FOR THE QUEEN

Thanks for the tip Babs but as I don't get home much before seven all I want is a quick dinner. Do use the stuff the same night if I'm cooking but if not the compost bin can look forward to a feed.

Re: CLEAN FOR THE QUEEN

Barbara Matthews
Obviously not Bellend - and those we have need to be cleaned up apparently!

Re: CLEAN FOR THE QUEEN

dalek1

 6th Squirrels Heath Beaver Scouts Clean for the Queen
We've already had 140 volunteers come forward to get involved with Clean for the Queen.

The first community group to volunteer is 6th Squirrels Heath Beaver Scouts and Harold Wood Park is their target area to clean.

If you're involved with a community group, school or business why not follow their example and volunteer too?

Other groups that have signed up to get involved include:

Arise Metropolitan Assembly Elm Park
Blue Board Care Services
Friends of Harold Wood Parks
RCCG Testimony Assembly
Tesco Roneo Corner community champions
The Church of the Good Shepherd, Collier Row
There have also been lots of individual residents volunteering so don’t miss out, fill in the form today.

Litter pickers
Clean for the Queen takes place from Friday 4 to Sunday 6 March and is a campaign to clear up Britain in time for Her Majesty the Queen’s 90th birthday, which will be officially celebrated in June 2016.

When she came to the throne litter was not the problem it is today so during that weekend the aim is for community groups, businesses, schools and individuals to spend an hour or two clearing litter from part of their neighbourhood. We all know a local place where litter gathers, so register your interest in a Havering Clean for the Queen event here and let’s get it cleared up.

Oh brilliant idea. Lets get kids to pick up litter and do Streetcares job for them.
Elsewhere it would be called child labour.