Breaking: Opposition leader resigns to head up new coalition party in Havering Town Hall

Breaking: Opposition leader resigns to head up new coalition party in Havering Town Hall

Lorraine Moss
Breaking: Opposition leader resigns to head up new coalition party in Havering Town Hall
From The Romford Recorder

 Cllr Clarence Barrett Cllr Clarence Barrett
Sam Gelder
Tuesday, September 23, 2014
12:53 PM

The leader of the Havering Residents’ Association has resigned from post and party and will lead an eight-strong team into a coalition with the Conservatives, creating an overall majority in the process.

 Leaders Cllr Tucker, left, Cllr Ramsey, Cllr Barret and Cllr Webb outside Havering Town Hall.
Leaders Cllr Tucker, left, Cllr Ramsey, Cllr Barret and Cllr Webb outside Havering Town Hall.
Cllr Clarence Barrett told the Recorder of his decision late last night.

It comes after his former party triumphed in the May elections, winning 19 seats and breaking the Tory strong-hold.

After a brief power struggle his Residents’ Association (RA) decided against forming a partnership with the Conservatives, who won 22 of the 54 seats and have since been ruling with a minority administration.

At the time, Cllr Barrett suggested a coalition would create “decision-making paralysis” and hinder the process.

Cllr Tucker, left, Cllr Ramsey, Cllr Barret and Cllr Webb outside Havering Town Hall.
Cllr Tucker, left, Cllr Ramsey, Cllr Barret and Cllr Webb outside Havering Town Hall.
But in the wake of proposals to slash the budget by £45million, the Cranham councillor will now head up a new party, believed to include eight Residents’ Association (RA) councillors from Upminster, Cranham and Harold Wood, to work closely with the Tories.

In his letter of resignation, sent to the Recorder, he wrote: “I believe the people of Havering voted for a strong Residents’ Association voice within the administration, and that’s what they should get.

“We can no longer sit on the sidelines when there is work to be done.

“By pooling our expertise in a sensible working relationship, we will be better able to meet the challenges ahead and, against a backdrop of unparalleled budget cuts, achieve the best possible outcomes for residents across the whole of Havering.

“We will equip this council with stable leadership at a crucial time. Where difficult decisions are to be made we will provide moderation, pragmatism and a desire to do what we have always stood by, to put the interests of our residents first and foremost.”

The letter also reveals his disagreement with RA colleagues who decided against the coalition in May.

He wrote: “As leader of the Resident’s Group and a firm believer in its democratic principles, I defended that decision in public; but have remained deeply uneasy about the direction we took.”

More to follow.

Re: Breaking: Opposition leader resigns to head up new coalition party in Havering Town Hall

Independent man
Vote RA and you can get Tory Vote Tory and you can get UKIP a lot of people said before the council elections if its a hung council what will RA do, now we know.
Drop that Drip Double Dip Dave

Re: Breaking: Opposition leader resigns to head up new coalition party in Havering Town Hall

They would sell their wife and kids for a cabinet post.

Eagling for Mayor
Barrett for Deputy Leader
Ower for the cabinet

What a shower of crap

Posted by Phil Wailing

The Ex Secretary of Pettits and Romford Residents Associations (Resigned)

Re: Breaking: Opposition leader resigns to head up new coalition party in Havering Town Hall

Lorraine Moss
Hi Phil, funny you say about Brian Eagling for Mayor.

At the count back in May Richard actually saw Damian White go up to Brian Eagling and heard him say "I guess this means congratulations Mr Mayor".  I wonder what that was all about ?

Re: Breaking: Opposition leader resigns to head up new coalition party in Havering Town Hall

Hi Indy, nice to see you posting again.

I have to slightly disagree with part of your statement, it is more like vote some RA and get Tory.  There are still 11 RA Cllrs.

Re: Breaking: Opposition leader resigns to head up new coalition party in Havering Town Hall

Peter
Like I said before, '' Self-serving pigs the lot of them.''

Re: Breaking: Opposition leader resigns to head up new coalition party in Havering Town Hall

The RAs in St Andrew's ward have always been helpful and done a good job.

We have to count our blessings that Labour in Havering is still carrion, so I don't see what the problem is.

Re: Breaking: Opposition leader resigns to head up new coalition party in Havering Town Hall

Mr. Angry....
Administrator
Why am I not surprised you cannot see what the problem is.... You need a modicum of intelligence to do that...
Havering's angriest person...

Re: Breaking: Opposition leader resigns to head up new coalition party in Havering Town Hall

will there be changes in polices?

Re: Breaking: Opposition leader resigns to head up new coalition party in Havering Town Hall

The Labour sponge is still dry.  The local closet Nazis can go back into the cupboard now.

Re: Breaking: Opposition leader resigns to head up new coalition party in Havering Town Hall

Percy.
Hoho what did I tell you now how do we get the traitors out of office.
No cuts in allowances but you watch the rents and council tax go up.Then they will get the houses reassigned to new bands of council tax so they can go up more than 2%.Houses still valued at £250,000 are now worth £1 million so it will bring in lots of money.

Re: Breaking: Opposition leader resigns to head up new coalition party in Havering Town Hall

Percy.
Will that mean another special allowance for the new leader of the new party.?

Re: Breaking: Opposition leader resigns to head up new coalition party in Havering Town Hall

Independent man
Hi Lorraine
               This is just a cameo appearance on my part, felt I had to put the Record straight I dont like to say I told you so but myself and one or two others did predict that the RA would lick the tories arse if it was a hung council, and thats exactly what has happened.
As for the RA no matter what spin they try to put on it it is now a divided party it will be of interest to see what way Barbara jumps now I hope she stands tall and tells them to stick the deputy Mayors job where the sun dont shine.
This will be my last post for now to many multi posters and brain dead bigots for my liking still spewing out their bile.

Peter
Barbara will be looking to climb further up the ladder now.

Re: Breaking: Opposition leader resigns to head up new coalition party in Havering Town Hall

Percy.
Yes she may try to lead the rump of the party and claim another allowance.

Re: Breaking: Opposition leader resigns to head up new coalition party in Havering Town Hall

Thank goodness non independent man gone back into the closet, his weak whining makes one vomit.

Powder punches from the horizontal champion; can't hold his hands up and sweating; shouldn't be in the arena in the first place.

His corner's thrown the towel in.

Goodbye and good riddance
.

Re: Breaking: Opposition leader resigns to head up new coalition party in Havering Town Hall

The traitor of the Residents Association - Clarence Barrett - Was on a SRA of £18,000 for being Leader of the Principal Opposition...

Now this traitor has resigned this position and formed a new group of 8 he will be entitled to an SRA of £2,227 as the Leader of a minority opposition, same as Jeff Tucker.

Barrett has had a financial loss of £15,800 per year so knowing these people only too well - To be honest I wish I had never met any of the scum - I cant help wondering how many new positions are going to be created to accommodate this scum's loss of income.

Wait till Brian Eagling gets the Mayors job (again, that's worth £22,000) and yes he was the LABOUR Mayor in 2000/2001 - Wasn't him that raffled off the Mayoral chain and we the council tax payers had to buy it back?

Keep an eye on the SRA's people - They may all end up like Lawrence Webb the UKIP leader on £24,600

Re: Breaking: Opposition leader resigns to head up new coalition party in Havering Town Hall

bellend
i've always voted for the ra's i am disappointed in the traitorous lot, i spoke to ray morgon last night he's not a happy bunny. you can't blame the rest of the ra's.

Re: Breaking: Opposition leader resigns to head up new coalition party in Havering Town Hall

Phil Wailing
I had a long chat with Barbara last night and this is nothing to do with the Hornchurch RA's - It's the scum in Upminster Cranham and Harold Wood and I do not include June Alexander in that statement - She has not joined the Tory's, she is still RA.

Re: Breaking: Opposition leader resigns to head up new coalition party in Havering Town Hall

confused of hornchurch

How confusing, so is it true that the ballot box will change at best, very little, and at worst, nothing at all?
1234 ... 7