Benefit Nightmare For Disabled Havering Resident !

Benefit Nightmare For Disabled Havering Resident !

Lorraine Moss
I was talking to a resident earlier today and he has had his Employment and Support Allowance stopped.  This is not the first time that this has happened.  This is a sickness benefit and when he was re assessed he scored 0 points.  This is despite the fact that he had medical evidence from his GP declaring that he is not fit for work.  He suffers with Crohn’s Disease and also has mobility problems and has to use crutches to get around.

When a claimant’s benefits  are stopped they do have the right to request a Mandatory Reconsideration of the decision.  This means that the DWP decision maker reviews their original decision and then decides whether or not to allow the claim.  In the meantime, the claimants benefits are stopped with immediate affect whilst they wait for the decision.  The only option available to them is to claim Job Seekers Allowance.  This means that they have to be actively looking for work and attending the job centre.  The resident who I am helping was signed off by his GP but after 13 weeks he had to start attending the job centre again.  This is despite the fact that he is still signed off by his GP and explained that it takes him around 3 hours to get to the job centre, this is due to his mobility problems and the journey causes him a great deal of pain.  He has advised the local Job centre that he has difficulty travelling there and he was advised that because he has been found fit for work he has no choice!  If he did fail to attend, this could result in him being sanctioned and his benefits could then be stopped and he would have no income.

The resident has now been advised that his mandatory reconsideration has been refused and he can now appeal the decision at a tribunal.   Once his appeal has been lodged he can then be put back onto the assessment stage of ESA.  However, this will take some time and in the meantime this poor man has to continue to struggle to get to the job centre to go through the charade of looking for work when he has actually been signed off sick by his own GP.

This residents predicament mirrors the film “I Daniel Blake.”   I think it is shocking that people are being treated in this inhumane and cruel manner.

Re: Benefit Nightmare For Disabled Havering Resident !

Phil Wailing
Meanwhile - by 2020 - The Conservative government has cut corporation tax by £70 billion.

Re: Benefit Nightmare For Disabled Havering Resident !

Lorraine Moss
I cannot bear the way vulnerable people are currently being treated.  It is bad enough having to live with illness and disability.  How can an assessor who is contracted by the DWP be able to ignore the opinion of a GP and declare someone fit for work?

So many people are going through similar scenarios to this man.  Many people are worried about appealing a decision but 60% of people are successful and have their benefits reinstated.

Re: Benefit Nightmare For Disabled Havering Resident !

Interesting Phil as the Tory press scare mongers lied to the public by claiming if corporation levies were raised to 25% it would result in businesses leaving leaving the country in droves.
Well they conveniently forgot to mention that even at 25% we would still have the lowest corporation levies in Europe.

Re: Benefit Nightmare For Disabled Havering Resident !

Corporation tax rates in Europe.

Belgium, 34%
France, 33.3%
Italy, 31.4%
Germany, 29.72%
Luxembourg, 29.22%
Greece, 29 per cent
Austria – Netherlands – Spain 25%
Denmark - Slovakia – Sweden 22%
Portugal, 21%

By comparison the Conservatives cut Britain’s corporation tax from 28% to 20% in 2010. A further cut to 19% in 2016 and will fall to 17% by 2020.

Total loss of revenue to the exchequer by 2020 - £70 billion.

Meanwhile your council tax was increased by an additional 2% and VAT increased from 17.5% to 20%

The amount of income tax for people earning over £150k was cut from 50% to  to 45% and the rate at which you start paying National Insurance is £157 a week.

Meanwhile Lloyds Banking Group, Vodafone, British American Tobacco,  Astra Zeneca, BP's four main British subsidiaries paid ZERO corporation tax.

Google, Starbucks and Amazon paid ZERO tax on their UK sales.

The Office for National Statistics published the average income of the UK’s richest fifth of £84,700 is now 12 times greater than the poorest fifth (£7,200)

Under the Conservative George Osbornes economic plan was meant to eliminate the deficit in five years but the truth is the UK’s debt has increased by £555 billion since the Tories came to power.

Under the Conservatives the national debt has risen by 53% to £1.7 trillion and most multinational corporations in the UK are contributing very little or nothing.

Never mind, a sick man in the London Borough of Havering who is unable to work had his Employment and Support Allowance stopped.

Must go, my wife and I are off to Tesco to buy some tinned food to donate to the 2 local food banks that have sprung up where I live.

Re: Benefit Nightmare For Disabled Havering Resident !

dalek1
Good on you and Mrs Phil for going out buying a few tins and going down to the food bank.
The only issue I have with these places is that what we donate gets to the folk who need it ie local people who have through no fault of their own fallen on hard times.
Every year at Christmas I donate a few stocking filler presents to King Georges and Queens hospitals kids wards  Time FM and the Mercury appeals but never the mayors charity.
I plane don't trust that one.

Re: Benefit Nightmare For Disabled Havering Resident !

Phil, have you seen the film "I Daniel Blake"?  Watch it if you get the chance, it really highlights the plight of so many people.

Jan and I are now in the Salvation Army every other Saturday helping people with local issues, benefits e.t.c.  We had another resident in this morning who has also had his ESA stopped and is now on JSA.  He is having to apply for a Mandatory Reconsideration and then if this is not successful, lodge an appeal.  I am yet to know of one Mandatory Reconsideration that has been successful.  Please see https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/news/2017/may/dwp-has-80-targets-refusing-benefit-reconsiderations.  The Mandatory Reconsideration procedure was introduced in 2013 and one of the original aims was to;

·  resolve disputes as early as possible;

·  reduce unnecessary demand on HMCTS by resolving more disputes internally;

·  consider revising a decision where appropriate;

·  provide a full explanation of the decision; and

·  encourage claimants to identify and provide any additional evidence that may affect the decision, so that they receive a correct decision at the earliest opportunity.

The reality is that people often have to wait months for the result of the reconsideration and in the meantime their benefits are stopped.  This results in the ridiculous situation where sick and disabled people have to claim JSA and attend the job centre and apply for jobs that they are clearly not fit to do.  I had a recent case where a disabled man was declared fit for work and started to JSA.  His JSA was then stopped because he was told that he was clearly not fit for work ???  The man had no income except for his disability allowance for several weeks.

I have tweeted a link of this post to David Hawke Mp and Secretary of State for the DWP.  Let's hope he takes the time to read it !

Re: Benefit Nightmare For Disabled Havering Resident !

Percy
Two women I know waited over a year for an appeal fortunately both succeeded but during that year they lost their homes and confidence surviving only through family and friends charity.
Revolutions are always verbose.