Bedroom Tax and Mansion Tax

Independent man
In this time of recession is it fair to force those living in social housing to pay more for extra bedrooms or vacate the property,but not to introduce a Mansion tax where those more fortunate residing in accommodation to the value of £2 million plus pay extra.
Drop that Drip Double Dip Dave

Re: Bedroom Tax and Mansion Tax

Ho-Hum
Cameron and his jolly chaps don't understand the real world.  They've never had holes in their shoes or struggled to pay a bill.

Re: Bedroom Tax and Mansion Tax

bellend
i believe they/them/the nasty party have softened us up with outrageous attacks on the unlucky/less able in our society with the aid of the right wing media, imagine trying this sort of stroke a few years back.

Re: Bedroom Tax and Mansion Tax

Romfordian
The £2 Million plus property owners no doubt had tax lawyers to help them pay practicaly nothing in the past so just a re adjusment Cameron own father was an ofshore investor and his wife's stepfather was a non dom tax exile and no doubt many more of the Tory parties suporters Thats why they opose it
Not a party activist but WAS a Labour supporter

Its the old tory trick of divide and conquer get the working plebs fighting over how many council house bedrooms they have and  hope we all forget that Double Dip Dave,s posh pals the millionaires are getting off scot free.
Drop that Drip Double Dip Dave

Re: Bedroom Tax and Mansion Tax

The Ear

Re: Bedroom Tax and Mansion Tax

AngelDelight
I am sick of taxes, its rediculious.

Re: Bedroom Tax and Mansion Tax

Goood Grief under the Nazi Liebour regime txes rocketed-heres what Boris has to say about Labours policy on taxing the working class.

Whoa there, I hope you haven’t just spent a happy weekend of pottering about and improving your home, in the way of British families for hundreds of years. Forget about the conservatory, folks. Stuff the new kitchen. You want my advice, you will let it all slide.

If you see one of those damp patches appear on the ceiling – about the size and colour of a poppadom – you should just lie back and watch it grow. If the floorboards yawn open, just cover the gap with cardboard. Never mind the state of the downstairs lavatory. A faint aroma of ammonia never hurt anyone. Drip from the ceiling? Shove a bucket under it.

I tell you why I offer these household tips: they are the only sensible response to the first policy Ed Miliband has offered the British people. Under a Labour government, it is now clear, you would run a risk in making any improvements whatever to your home – because any such effort might lift you over the limit for Ed’s so-called “mansion tax”.

At which point the state would fine you viciously for any increment in value over a certain threshold. It is always a relief when your opponent stops ducking and weaving, and announces what he actually believes in.

At last we can see exactly what kind of a Labour leader Ed Miliband proposes to be – and he is taking his party right back to the politics of envy and nihilistic class war that kept them out of office for a generation. The proposal for a new tax on people’s homes is ill-thought-out, unjust and un-British. It is colossally unfair on Londoners, since the vast majority of homes that would currently qualify are in the capital; but then there are plenty of other properties dotted around the country – family farms, for instance – where the notional cash value of the buildings would incur a mansion tax far beyond the ability of the family to pay.

Related Articles
The public still blame Labour for recession
Marathon man Jim Murphy admits Labour has a long way to go to win trust
Miliband hasn’t learnt any economic lessons
Cable plays down 'wacky' tax proposals
Friends: The One with Dave's microwave

The proposed tax is unfair on those who may be asset-rich – the elderly widow springs to mind – but whose income is low. If Labour were to pursue the policy announced last week, and set the threshold at £2 million, the result would be bizarre – from discontinued improvements to deliberate vandalism: anything to help the home owner limbo dance under the danger area. It is peculiar to try to raise money for the state by taxing this one particular form of wealth, and in this one particular way.

What about someone who owns several houses, all of them worth £1.9 million: why should he or she pay nothing, while someone who owns just one pricey home gets totally clobbered? What about someone who lives in a home worth a million, but happens to have a load of Van Goghs and Cézannes on his kitchen wall, or gold bars under his bed? Why should he get away with paying nothing, while the taxman pulverises the little old lady still living in the former family home next door?

The pressure to be fairer between households, and to reduce the sudden severity of the tax, would be very great. If Ed and Ed came to office – a very big if – they would almost certainly modify the mansion tax, so that it was less of a blatant disincentive to doing up a home. They might have several bands for the new tax – hundreds of bands, thousand of bands (or Milibands, as they will be known).

They might decide to solve the elderly widow problem by going with the even more demented Liberal Democrat proposal, and taxing fixed wealth of all kinds. So we would have a new race of ghastly beady-eyed officials tasked with feeling under our beds for gold bars and running an expert eye over the pictures on the wall, or rifling through the jewellery box. An Englishman’s home, to put it mildly, would no longer be his castle.

Every property owner in the country would be engaged in an undignified haggle with the authorities to persuade them that their home was under this or that threshold. The end result would be in many cases to force sales, and to reduce the value of property – and for a country whose wealth is, for better or worse, so tightly tied to property, that would not be a good outcome.

Yes, of course we need people to be able to afford to live in Britain. But the answer is not to make it even more punishing to own a home in an expensive part of the country. The answer is to get going with a massive programme of house-building on the many brownfield sites. Here in London we have a crying need for homes — hundreds of thousands of them over the next 10 years.

We could build about 80 per cent of them on the 18 brownfield opportunity areas that have already been identified across the city, and all we need is a steady stream of funding to be able to get on with it. That could be found by simply earmarking, for London, the £1.3 billion that the London residential market already raises in stamp duty. And with one in four small and medium businesses in construction, that programme would get huge numbers of people into work.

If you listen to Nick Boles, the housing minister, you can see that he understands the urgency of the problem. The Treasury understand it, and George Osborne knows that Tories win elections when they help aspirant people get the homes they need – and it is time to return to the great Tory building programmes of the Fifties, but with beautiful standards and on brownfield sites.

As for Labour, they have shown their true colours. The Blairites in the party must be watching with incredulity and despair. Never mind the individual injustices – the message of the Miliband policy is that Labour is once again hostile to one of the deepest instincts of the British people: to show the energy, enterprise and ambition to want to improve your own home and to raise its value. I cannot believe Miliband will pursue this policy through to the election. If he does, he will have signed his political death warrant.

Re: Bedroom Tax and Mansion Tax

If you want to kill the economy and people that employ YOU then hit us with high taxes and we will fuck off...

The latest estate agency figures have shown large numbers of France's most well-heeled families selling up and moving to neighbouring countries.

Many are fleeing a proposed new higher tax rate of 75 per cent on all earnings over one million euros. (£780,000)

The previous top tax bracket of 41 per cent on earnings over 72,000 euros is also set to increase to 45 per cent.

Sotheby's Realty, the estate agent arm of the British auction house, said its French offices sold more than 100 properties over 1.7 million euros between April and June this year - a marked increase on the same period in 2011.

Re: Bedroom Tax and Mansion Tax

Independent man
Gazza
you have got me crying in my coffee for all those poor souls that live in Mansions worth £2million,the question was is it fair to introduce a bedroom tax for people who are struggling to make ends meet and let the super rich get off scot free.
Double Dip Dave said we are all in this together,I find that hard to take when Osborn drops income tax for the well healed  by 5%, and if you mates want to leave the country rather than pay their tax that proves we are not all in this together.
Drop that Drip Double Dip Dave

Re: Bedroom Tax and Mansion Tax

GAZZER
We certainly are not all in it together- I am sure most people do not have to wait months to get paid, pay there staff and suppliers, even when there clients go bankrupt, and one gets knocked-have there million pound houses virtually owned by the bank because of the above and cash flow.

Take serious financial risk every day-collect huge amounts of VAT for the inland revenue without getting paid and if your late paying get fined-have the Tax man rip open all the last three years accounts because they find a discrepancy with a twenty quid petrol bill.

Pay thousands to comply with health and safety laws-Public liability insurance-train all your staff eg First aid-CSCS cards-advanced driving courses-then they frigg off somewhere else-have staff take months off to have a baby with full pay then never come back.

Pay hundreds of pounds a year to join Quango's that you have to be members off or you cannot bid for gov contracts or major builders like Skanska contracts Blah blah blah blah blah I could go on all day

But what's the point-if this country wants to tax entrepreneurs until they wake up one day and think "this just aint worth the grief" then so be it, but remember most of this countries industry and employment is generated  because of small to medium size businesses-taxing them to death is madness taxing the companies that feed them and keep them alive is madness.

Many major companies have already packed up and gone abroad-just recently FORDS announced that they were closing plants in England and opening up in Turkey. De-incentivising entrepreneurs by using the Tax hammer is a big mistake ask Russia.

Re: Bedroom Tax and Mansion Tax

Independent man
Im pleased you agree we are not all in it together I was quoting Double Dip on that one,I dont know if you are telling us all about the life of a business man,but we all have a choice of how we make a living.
I have worked for myself and have had to wait months to get money and I have also got knocked that,s what happens,the up side is you can make more money than working for someone else.
You can work hard for a firm for 20 years be up to your eyeballs in debt and get pumped for no good reason so it works both ways.
I still think its wrong to have a bedroom tax on the not so well off,and not balance it with a tax on those who are more fortunate and live in a property worth £2million or more.
Drop that Drip Double Dip Dave

Re: Bedroom Tax and Mansion Tax

GAZZER
Well we will have to agree to disagree-you only become wealthy through hard work, a businessman who owns a 2 million pound house should be applauded not taxed because he works harder than most to get it.

I say good on him/her I know many wealth self made people who work night and day to build their companies why should they be taxed on there success and hard work- People seem to forget the money these people earn is THERE money not the tax mans not the benefits boys, without these people there wouldn't be any revenue.

Aggressively Taxing successful people is absolutely  ludicrous and will result in less revenue and jobs gained in the long run.

Yes we will have to disagree on this one,I think the burden of tax of tax should be shared by all in these tough times regardless of how rich or poor you may be.
Drop that Drip Double Dip Dave

Re: Bedroom Tax and Mansion Tax

Percy.
There are not that many houses worth more than two million and a lot of those that are are owned by people who do not live in this country.Its a tax that will not raise much but will drive away the oligarchs and Arabs that buy our goods and football teams its not worth it.

Another inane comment pericles, oligarchs and Arabs with oil dripping out their ears are not going worry about tax and leave, tch tch tch.  Get your brain in gear cocker.

Re: Bedroom Tax and Mansion Tax

Percy.
It wont drive away the Oligarchs but stop them investing in Housing so keeping values high.We don't want house values to fall do we?

Re: Bedroom Tax and Mansion Tax

The Ear

Re: Bedroom Tax and Mansion Tax

Percy.
Indeed first time buyers do and its council regulations and green belt policy stops them having small starter homes.If it was possible to buy brown field sites and build the modern day equivalent of pre fabs the could afford the first step on the ladder.
Its possible to build small liveable units for £30,000 or less.

Re: Bedroom Tax and Mansion Tax

Many house owners invest in a property which may be there only form of pension-It would be far better if wages were raised and immigration stopped as this exhaust housing stock-drives up demand thus drives up housing cost-on the other hand cheap immigrant labour drives down the indigenous working class peoples wages and makes it almost impossible for them to get on the housing ladder.

Anyway is it really prudent to by your own house nowadays?? -politicians will only suck any equity accrued over the years out of it-tax the frigg out of it and eventually make you sell it, even when you die they can take a huge chunk away from your children

The Liebour party once wanted to reduce your old age pension and welfare benefits just because you may have a good postcode-taxes kill economies and smashes incentive.