A window on history

Mark One
Just wanted to mention that there is a new documentary  film called 'They Shall Not Grow Old' being shown in selected cinemas. The film was commissioned to mark the centenary of the end of the First World War. The film uses 100 year old first world war footage which has been colourised and smoothed out (the original 10 frames a second has been computer enhanced to the modern 24 frames a second getting rid of the jerky movement).

The makers have also brought the men's voices to life by using forensic lip reading to understand what was being said and using actors to dub the voices. Care was even taken to match regional accents to the regiments being shown.

I have seen clips of it and I must say it looks stunning and a moving tribute to those men that went through so much during that war. Google the title and you will find some clips and more info on-line. I understand that the BBC will be showing the film on November 11th, can't wait.

Re: A window on history

confused of hornchurch

I'm not sure I'll rush out to the cinema to see it, but I'll certainly watch it if it's on BBC.

Re: A window on history

Mark One
Unfortunately it was only shown in cinemas on one night last week. But like I said it seems the BBC will be showing it next month followed by a documentary on the making of it. Also I understand it will be distributed to schools free of charge after that.

Re: A window on history

confused of hornchurch

I think it would be an excellent film for use in the teaching of history in schools. I think the new techniques used will help to make the film more relevant to younger generations.

Re: A window on history

fred
Should be compulsory viewing especially for some in our teaching profession who seem to think their left wing views should be imposed on our kids.
History is History some of it ain’t great,but it’s there to learn from.
Don’t watch the Bolshevik Channel,but will make an exception for this.

Re: A window on history

Mark One
Please do Fred, From the little I have seen so far I would highly recommend this film to everyone, it is important we see the true perspective of what our ancestors went through and never forget these men. Britain has changed much over the years but this country's history is what it is, its not always been good especially when viewed from todays perspective, but bloody hell there's a lot of what our forefathers did and achieved that is  to be proud of.

Re: A window on history

fred
My sentiments exactly.
Maybe send the traitorous White Poppy advocates up on the Afghan Pakistan border for a few months,l wonder who they would call on for help? Maybe organise an Unsure Sisterhood Snowflake Feminist Battalion,they seem very vocal when it suits them.

Re: A window on history

Mark One
BBC 2 , 21:00 tonight

Re: A window on history

fred
As a kid growing up amongst the survivors of that and WW2 you never understood what they went through,both my Grandfathers suffered in different ways and l never had a conversation with either of them,one being quiet and spending most of his time in a darkened room,the other was sectioned due to drink after suffering shell shock or PTSD as it now known and spending the rest of his life in Cane Hill.
These fellas were not uncommon sights around where we come from,poor souls wonder what his story was?
All those stupid pratts looking for a safe space at our places of learning?should have been on them battlefields no safe spaces there for anyone of either side.RIP