A bit more high street fraud?

confused of hornchurch

High Street guru on fraud rap

Ex-JJB Sports boss Sir David Jones accused of forgery

Sir David Jones
Charged ... ex-boss Sir David Jones

By STEVE HAWKES, Business Editor

Published: 16 hrs ago

THE former boss of JJB SPORTS has been charged with forgery and misleading the City.

Sir David Jones’ reputation lay in tatters last night as the Serious Fraud Office prosecuted him over his time in charge of the failed chain.

The 70-year-old is one of the best known names in retail after transforming NEXT in the 1990s.

He appeared before Leeds magistrates yesterday and was released on bail ahead of a crown court hearing in April.

The SFO also charged his son Mark with aiding and abetting his father. He was head of marketing at JJB.

Sir David’s reign from 2009 to 2010 was rocked by controversy over a £1.5million personal loan he borrowed from Mike Ashley, owner of rival SPORTS DIRECT.

He repaid the loan once it was made public but was forced to deny claims he had asked Sports Direct execs to deny its existence.

At the time he stormed: “I will not apologise because I have done nothing wrong.”

He insisted the loan was “to develop one of my private companies”.

JJB almost collapsed in 2008, the year before Sir David took over.

It fired previous boss Chris Ronnie for gross misconduct.

The SFO last year charged Ronnie with fraud, theft and money laundering. A spokesman said last night that the Jones and Ronnie cases were “connected”.

JJB went bust last September with the loss of 2,200 jobs nationwide.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/money/4786079/Former-boss-of-JJB-Sports-Sir-David-Jones-prosecuted-for-fraud.html#ixzz2KQaFTIA1